Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Started bike the other day. Always in neutral, depressed clutch handle, put it in first gear and it lurched forward. Did this a few times then operated normally. Never happened before. Did some reading and it appears this is not uncommon but can someone explain to me why this happened?

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Had the bike been sitting for a long time? The clutch plates will stick together from sitting and had to free up. No big deal. If you google it you will see it's pretty common.

The oil between clutch plates act kinda like a glue. Put a drop on oil on a piece of metal. Put a small coin, dime, on drop. Try to pick the time up. The oil forms a suction effect. Kinda the same thing on clutch plates.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
If the bike has been sitting for a while, and it always does this, I give the bike a little push off down the drive way before I kick it down into first.

It can be a pretty good clunk, depending on how long the bike has been sitting.

The other thing you can do is hold the front brake on tight, just incase it does not bump loose and the bike lurches more than you expected.

If the bike has been sitting for years you may have to kick it into gear, and really give it some throttle while riding down the street, holding the clutch in to make it let go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts