Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Gang,
Names Chris, Ive lurked around here for along time but never joined till now. Live in SoCal, surf, race moto X, and ride a 2003 Vstar 650 Classic. Nothing special but shes paid off and the wife and I have a blast around the beaches with her. I'm saving or attempting to get out of debt :) and buy a road glide but untill then just having a blast without a bike payment. Ride safe and Thanks (Im posting my first question in the vstar forum now lol)

**unable to post in that forum yet I guess so forgive me but im in need of some advice**

I have stock exhaust on the bike. Ive been researching systems for weeks and weeks and have narrowed it down to two....

A.) BUB Big Willy 2 1/4 with Slash tip end caps
B.) Vance n Hines Short Shots Staggered

Ive read so many confusing threads...can anyone clear it up for me. I like the shorter looking systems. I dont want a ridiculously loud set up. I dont usually ride with plugs or a full face. I do have the wife on the back often. I want my bike to sound like the big bike it looks like. I ride with a club of friends and my sewing machine (thats what i think she sounds like sometimes) isnt even loud enough when in a pack of screaming eagles or thunderhead systems. I want a clean deep rumble but dont have to set off car alarms to be content.I also dont want to have a system that i cant lug to keep quiet. IE rolling in late or leaving early in the neighborhood......again Thanks so much

Chris

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboaerd Chris glad you took the plunge into the 4m. Great bike that 650 there's alot to customize on that bike. For the exhuast ? if your wife is on the back you will want some longer pipes to the noise behind her. On the sound either twin pipes as big as you can get or just a large single. One single 4" with no baffle sounds pretty mean for a small bike. It's all what you like. Try going on you tube and listen to some 650 exhaust you will get a better idea want you want. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HD EATER...
I have watched some many youtube clips im going crazy lol When I ride the wife its rarely on freeways and she wears full face so I think she can deal with the sound (shorter pipes).....I think i have narrowed it down to these two systems and am leaning towards the bubs because i saw it last week in person and it sounded great....just wanted a lil push lol

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The Bubs are way cool that will sound awsome. So you need a little push huh just do it you only live once and just tell the wife the guys on the forum said your bike really needs them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The Bubs are way cool that will sound awsome. So you need a little push huh just do it you only live once and just tell the wife the guys on the forum said your bike really needs them.
Your a bad infuence :rolleyes:

...and welcome to you motomedic and FYI once you post a few times on your NEWB thread you'll be able to post more freely.

...oh yeah...and don't forget the most important thing, and this is a big secret amongst all the riders throughout the world....black bikes are fastest :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome Chris! From the "sound" of it, looks like you'll be quite happy with a slip-on aftermarket muffler system. Whichever route you take, keep the stock exhaust for when it time to move your 650 in favor of the larger displacement bike in your dreams. You can either get a tad more with offering both exhausts to the prospective buyer or sell separately. Enjoy!

BTW, do you ride Glamis, Gordon's Well, Buttercup or Ocatillo Wells? I was a bonifide duner back in the day. Had a great time riding there and some.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the fun house Chris. You will surely get a ton of opinions on the pipes. For now, welcome...ride safe...and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sparkyd your at it again not telling the newbies the correct things. Everyone knows grey bikes are fastest. But very well said.Motomedic forgive him you know how those people are that live in Washington.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Howdy motomedic. I live is Southern CA and ride around the beaches too.

What part of this 150 miles of God's finest work do you inhabit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts