Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally.....after the new 650 classic sat in the garage for a day and a half after trailering it home, I got to get it out on the road. Boy was i Surprised at this machine. What a fine and smooth ride this thing is! I had a 2003 Honda shadow ace deluxe up until this last summer and I thought it was smooth, nothing compared to this. I was able to get about 50 miles on it this afternoon heading down the curvy road to my brothers house and back up again. I will have to say it was hard not to romp on the throttle and keep it in check during the initial break in, but i know it will pay off in the long run. But so far I am soooo happy with the change to Yamaha and leave Honda. It makes me wonder why I haven't before now. Now to get it ready for the run to work tomorrow and show it off......Now just waiting for the first 70+ degree day to hit the hills

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why wait? only sub-40 degrees keeps me off my bike. i use a fleece mask that covers the lower half of my face and neck and i'm good.
OH.....there hasn't been any waiting. The last couple of morning to work have been 37ish or so. It starts to hurt about 20 minites into the ride. I just can't wait for the 70+ days so I can strip the thermals and just have the jacket and helmet on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hear ya mk20, when I lived in Central Calif, I would ride out in the fog in the high 30's low 40's some days... very, very cold... but worth it ;-). That was on a Kawi Vulcan 900. Funny thing was, I got colder when I got off the bike.

I just recently bought a V-Star 1300, and have yet to see a day in the 70's here in So Cal when I've been able to ride, but I have some 750+ miles on her anyway :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
For those cold dry days is why God invented heated clothing. Love that stuff. It allows me to ride 300 days a year, the other 65 I am either sailing, to lazy to ride or heaven forbid there is snow on the ground.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i ride at 40, use thermal and heated gloves, dont have heated suit though. i enjoy it. i cant say it is comfortable, i dont like the fogging, but last i went out and used fogtech on the lens it helped. i do need to find a mask that may work inside my modular full helmet, what is a good mask to use. i agree its fun to ride most anytime, i have had to stop though recently too cold, windy , and snow and ice everywhere.

have fun, ride safely

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
For those cold dry days is why God invented heated clothing. Love that stuff. It allows me to ride 300 days a year, the other 65 I am either sailing, to lazy to ride or heaven forbid there is snow on the ground.
Hi Doug, there many of us should be so lucky! Many of us are tied up with beaucoup(sp) snow, ice, supercold temps, Really happy a rider is able to ride. Sugar Bear is a little jealous;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sugar Bear,
Don't be jealous. I am usually going to work, err I mean my place of employment. The only place I have time to spend on this site.:):rolleyes:
Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
<<< I just can't wait for the 70+ days so I can strip the thermals and just have the jacket and helmet on.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to get this picture.:p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome!
Glad you like your new ride.....hopefully the mod bug won't bite you too soon....
I like my 650 classic too, it's so smooth, comfortable, strong and dependable.
I've added a hypercharger, passing lamps, brakeaway throttle lock (cruise) a jet kit, scootworks freeway bar, and Roadburner streetlites pipes....
Sounds killer, rides great, and looks awesome!

Enjoy it, the better time of the year to ride is just around the corner!

·
Registered
12 Posts
New 950 in Friday's Storm

Finally.....after the new 650 classic sat in the garage for a day and a half after trailering it home, I got to get it out on the road. Boy was i Surprised at this machine. What a fine and smooth ride this thing is! I had a 2003 Honda shadow ace deluxe up until this last summer and I thought it was smooth, nothing compared to this. I was able to get about 50 miles on it this afternoon heading down the curvy road to my brothers house and back up again. I will have to say it was hard not to romp on the throttle and keep it in check during the initial break in, but i know it will pay off in the long run. But so far I am soooo happy with the change to Yamaha and leave Honda. It makes me wonder why I haven't before now. Now to get it ready for the run to work tomorrow and show it off......Now just waiting for the first 70+ degree day to hit the hills

John

I just got a new 950. So far ive put 450 miles on it in the first two weeks. Its a sweet ride. This is my second yamaha and I love it. I rode it in the big storm last friday and im happy to say it did great in the rain. I got soaked but the bike was solid. Not much slipping at all. Good to hear you like the 650. Did you get it from Chico Motorsports? I bought my first bike from Robin there. Chico is a great place to ride. Ride 36 west. Its spectacular. Im a Chico State Alum so I know the area pretty well. One thing ive done thats made me love my star even more is drill out the stock pipes. I dont know if the exhaust is the same diameter on the 650 but i used a 1 1/2" hole saw on mine. I learned about it on this forum. Research it. It makes the stock pipes sound so much better. Let it breathe! Anyways, have fun and ride safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts