Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appreciate any comments.
I am a bike rider in Brisbane – I have an 2005 XVS 1100 and thoroughly enjoy it.

Just over a week ago my bike broke. Its 3 years old, has 12,000 klms on it (I don’t get out that much) and I broke the front universal – the top shaft going into the joint just snapped. The universal joint is bugged, the housing frame around the joint is bent big time – the bike shop has pulled the whole engine apart to identify all the problems.

The quote to get it fixed was between $5,000 and $6,000 – the dealership I bought the bike through has gone to Yamaha to see if they would come to the party on some cost – this kind of fault should not happen. Yamaha have said they will pay $4,000 for the parts – I am up for the rest – not a lot of change out of $2,000.

My question – has this happened other bike riders? Is it a problem with this model? Is this a manufacturing problem – if it has happened with other bikes, it might appear to be an inherent problem.

Truly, my situation might be a ‘one off’, and bad luck on my part. But if anyone could tell me if they are aware of this fault with other bikes, I would appreciate any advice.

Regards
Ian McC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Broke

That sucks brother. I have the same year Roadstar. I haven't had any problems as of yet but if something like that happens I will be sure to post it. Good luck getting this figured out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response - bike all fixed a little while ago and travelling well now, no problems. Apart from this front universal problem, the bike is great.
Hope all goes well for you. Safe riding.
regards
Ian McC

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ian McC
check out the Vstar portion of this forum. Myself and at least one other person are having the same problem. I have 60k on my 06 1100vstar. I figure that with the mileage I have Yamaha will tell me to go fish. I am going to start tearing the bike apart to find out what the damage is.
Good luck
Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts