Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of your new bike? I was at a local dealer recently and both their SVTC and Eluder showed September 2017 (9/17) on the vin stickers. I’m guessing many bikes will be that way due to their initial production run and subsequent release delay.

Not an issue as the warranty starts when the bike is sold, but I’m just curious when yours was made to see if they’re all from the same batch.

On a related topic, the dealer manager (son of the owner) said Yamaha won’t be selling ‘19 models until December due to the delay, guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Travis

·
Registered
691 Posts
My Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental was manufactured on 11/17.

I would not put to much stock into what the dealer manager said about pushing back the 2019 model year, that just does not make sense unless there is a delay like happened to the 2018 models, if manufactures did that every time a delay occurred they would end up having to skip entire model years at some point. They all want their next model year vehicles out to take advantage of the yearly cycle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental was manufactured on 11/17.

I would not put to much stock into what the dealer manager said about pushing back the 2019 model year, that just does not make sense unless there is a delay like happened to the 2018 models, if manufactures did that every time a delay occurred they would end up having to skip entire model years at some point. They all want their next model year vehicles out to take advantage of the yearly cycle.
Thanks American, and I agree. He may be under the impression that Yamaha has extra from the initial production run in a warehouse that haven’t sold yet, so they don’t need to make any new ones right now. Apparently he had several people interested in the new bike before the delay, but no one has come back to look at them after. He also said only one person has ridden their SVTC, and they’ve had it for a while.

Yamaha did it the right way in my opinion, though. Better to release a new product after a known issue is resolved than to sell it on schedule and use your customers as beta testers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a bike birth date of 7/17 but just got it March 31st.
Number 617. My dealer still has both the SVTC and the Eluder and have sat so long that they moved them to the back of the very large showroom. I am hoping that moving them to the back is a way to make folks walk to the back thru the maze of other bikes...and not because the love is lost....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Odd thing I learned a while back, Euro/German cars will often be released for the current year, but actually have build dates several years old. Only a few minor changes occurred during the time, if any. I don't know that that could or would happen with the new touring bikes, but Yamaha has kept the formula pretty close on their cruiser lines for years it seems.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have a bike birth date of 7/17 but just got it March 31st.
Number 617. My dealer still has both the SVTC and the Eluder and have sat so long that they moved them to the back of the very large showroom. I am hoping that moving them to the back is a way to make folks walk to the back thru the maze of other bikes...and not because the love is lost....
I guess Yamaha didn't have any rhyme or reason in the way they distributed these bikes. I was part of the Priority Delivery Program and put money down on my bike on July 27th 2017. I had my bike delivered on December 29th 2017 and was told I was the first in the Southeast region to get mine, yet my bike serial # is 694 with a manufacture date of 8/17. That's so weird!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I thought motorcycle year models were similar to cars. July thru June is year. EX: July/17 thru June/18 is the 2018 model year. 2019 models started last month. Or am I wrong?

BTW --- Big Burtha's born date is 10/99, but she is a 2000 year model Road Star. Although, her BORN AGAIN date is February of 2018. That is when I bought her, repair her and got her road worthy again. Minus a hiccup here & there. She has given me over 3000 miles of smiles so far.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I thought motorcycle year models were similar to cars. July thru June is year. EX: July/17 thru June/18 is the 2018 model year. 2019 models started last month. Or am I wrong?

BTW --- Big Burtha's born date is 10/99, but she is a 2000 year model Road Star. Although, her BORN AGAIN date is February of 2018. That is when I bought her, repair her and got her road worthy again. Minus a hiccup here & there. She has given me over 3000 miles of smiles so far.
Scrumdown, what’s the delay in riding? You’ve had her 5 months and only 3k miles? I took mine in for break in service of 600 miles 3 days after I got her. Had my 4K mike service done in March and got her December 29th.
You need to ride more! 👍😁

·
Registered
440 Posts
I guess Yamaha didn't have any rhyme or reason in the way they distributed these bikes. I was part of the Priority Delivery Program and put money down on my bike on July 27th 2017. I had my bike delivered on December 29th 2017 and was told I was the first in the Southeast region to get mine, yet my bike serial # is 694 with a manufacture date of 8/17. That's so weird!
Well holy crap I hope I don't have the engine troubles you had. I would just cry.....
I always thought I had too much engine noise. So that along with the low miles per gallon I am getting this is freakin making me concern.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Well holy crap I hope I don't have the engine troubles you had. I would just cry.....
I always thought I had too much engine noise. So that along with the low miles per gallon I am getting this is freakin making me concern.
I hope not too! I ride mine pretty aggressive too an
Nd the problem showed up at 7850 miles. It also never got above 38 mpg. Now I’m getting 41mpg easily.
Just keep an eye & ear on it. It seemed to be getting real noisy & I thought it was because I was running 10w-40 & we had hot weather & getting close to 8k mile oil change. After I put a synthetic 20w-50 in and it didn’t quiet down, I KNEW something wasn’t right.
So far, we’ve chalked it up to tech not lubing the cam properly during re-assembly. If it happens to yours, I wonder if the same tech?
Let’s just pray it’s not a problem. BTW, how many miles you got Rich?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nd the problem showed up at 7850 miles. It also never got above 38 mpg. Now I’m getting 41mpg easily.
Just keep an eye & ear on it. It seemed to be getting real noisy & I thought it was because I was running 10w-40 & we had hot weather & getting close to 8k mile oil change. After I put a synthetic 20w-50 in and it didn’t quiet down, I KNEW something wasn’t right.
So far, we’ve chalked it up to tech not lubing the cam properly during re-assembly. If it happens to yours, I wonder if the same tech?
Well I really hope I don't have any issues. I have just shy of 3400 miles. Getting ready to make my 4000 miles service and switch to synthetic.
I have noticed that if I drive this bike like an old man i get better gas mileage, I think much better. I last tank 210 miles before the light came on, this tank I am on now I think is much better than that and will report what I get. But really I am really babying this to the point that every time i am feeling like everyone is wondering why that bike is so slow I have to show that this bike has it. Not sure why I get this but damn it feels good.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Well I really hope I don't have any issues. I have just shy of 3400 miles. Getting ready to make my 4000 miles service and switch to synthetic.
I have noticed that if I drive this bike like an old man i get better gas mileage, I think much better. I last tank 210 miles before the light came on, this tank I am on now I think is much better than that and will report what I get. But really I am really babying this to the point that every time i am feeling like everyone is wondering why that bike is so slow I have to show that this bike has it. Not sure why I get this but damn it feels good.
Lol! Remember your “preachin to the choir” here. I’ve also learned better to “short shift” the bike. I shift it fast enough to not let the rpm’s get over 3,200. There’s no need to rev it high cuz all the torque that’s gonna slingshot you anyways is below that point.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Scrumdown, what’s the delay in riding? You’ve had her 5 months and only 3k miles? I took mine in for break in service of 600 miles 3 days after I got her. Had my 4K mike service done in March and got her December 29th.
You need to ride more!
Weather, a mechanical issue, and life has gotten in the way of me riding.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You need to ride more!
Weather, a mechanical issue, and life has gotten in the way of me riding.
Bummer! Well, here’s hoping you get MORE saddle time. It’s great stress therapy!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am running Redline 10w-40 synthetic oil in mine right now and I am in Southwest Florida, today the temp display was reading 93 degrees, engine is running good and engine heat? What engine heat.

I think the engine like my Victory likes the Redline 10w-40 synthetic oil, my Victory ran good on it and the oil reports from Blackstone labs confirmed it. The victory Freedom 106 CI engine is also a shared sump gear driven primary with a six speed transmission.

These engines with gear driven primary's seem to like the 10w-40 synthetic oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts