Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should marijuana be legal in all 50 states on state and federal levels?
To me, this is a double edged sword issue and can think of both pros and cons of legalization.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't think so. I have no issue with it being researched and if medicinal advantages are truly proven then allow it with regulations similar to other RX drugs. But to just legalize it across the board to everyone I believe is opening Pandora's box. It has been illegal to use since it's beginning in the USA. Nothing has changed about the substance. The only thing that has changed is it's acceptance by society. It's acceptance does not justify it's legalization. There are several things in this country we have legalized simply because we accepted it and look where that has gotten us.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so. I have no issue with it being researched and if medicinal advantages are truly proven then allow it with regulations similar to other RX drugs. But to just legalize it across the board to everyone I believe is opening Pandora's box. It has been illegal to use since it's beginning in the USA. Nothing has changed about the substance. The only thing that has changed is it's acceptance by society. It's acceptance does not justify it's legalization. There are several things in this country we have legalized simply because we accepted it and look where that has gotten us.
It gets legalized for recreational use to keep people dumb and keep politicians in power.
This isn't grass we are talking about from the 70s. Its more potent to mind control humans.
It also has created a man bun culture of people that don't want to work and smoke pot all day long and be lazy.
Medicinal yes. And not because "my finger hurts so please give me a med card".

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that is should be legalized across the all of the states. It is better for you than drinking and does not make you feel as "out of control" as drunkenness does. So I've heard ;) Yes, it is still bad for your health. Does it have uses for medical reasons? Science suggests it does. The gov. could also make millions and millions from the tax off of it. Millions that could go to infrastructure, military, health care. Or a big one....social security. Whether the gov. would actually use the tax money for good is another debate. This may or may not be a reason to legalize it in some peoples eyes but you would also save money and use resources to catch real criminals besides petty weed charges. I would rather a drug task force not have to ever worry about catching a pot dealer. I would rather that group to focus their efforts on the opioid crisis. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In the long run legalization isn't going to hurt the economy and truly the argument of alcohol being so readily available everywhere now.. legalizing pot isn't going to make it an epidemic . I agree with applying resources of DEA to other issues than pot. pot really is no worse than alcohol and they made that legal. The unhealthy aspect of pot is actually not as bad as alcohol and cost of production is lower so the government profit would be higher. Maybe it's a helping hand to getting the healthcare the US needs. It's going legal here in Canada later this summer. There must be a business model that supports it or they wouldn't be doing it. I'd be curious as to what the numbers from the 9 states that allow pot are ....for sales and tax intake since it's been legal there ??

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
there is a big problem still with all the states that have legalized pot

they used restricted growing and heavy taxing as part of the reasoning to legalize it

the problem is, this is not like trying to distill ethanol in your garage without poisoning yourself

anyone, anywhere in the US could grow all the pot they need for their own use, in their own garden or makeshift green house, literally for free.

The price would go near zero. There would no black market. And there would be no tax 'benefit' to rationalize it.

That is where it will all end up eventually - as long as legal outlets are charging $400 per ounce for something that literally grows like a weed, there will still be a black market.

Sooner or later someone will sue the government, and argue that if its legal, then its LEGAL, and you cannot stop people from growing flowers, tomatoes and pot for their own use.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a long way to figure the ins and outs to it but it's better to legalize it and control it than the issues the black market product can present .. a lot of beer drinkers or liquor drinkers aren't going to make there own so there will always be a market even for the few that will grow there own .. there will be a market as year round consumption most can't grow enough to cover personal use if the right controls/limits are in place.

Pot has evolved a lot over the years for sure.. but growing it properly and well is a science just like making alcohol.

If the laws follow alcohol and consumption locations and intoxication limits are set ..society as whole will adapt and have the same issues it already has..just not as strict regulation and penalties for use.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It has been illegal to use since it's beginning in the USA. Nothing has changed about the substance.
That is not true. It was only made illegal somewhere in the 1930s. Harry J. Anslinger was a huge proponent in making pot illegal. And he did so to improve his finances and no other reason. With ties to logging & paper companies as well DuPont. It was good for his wallet to make it illegal.
Read more here

·
Registered
199 Posts
there is a big problem still with all the states that have legalized pot

they used restricted growing and heavy taxing as part of the reasoning to legalize it

the problem is, this is not like trying to distill ethanol in your garage without poisoning yourself

anyone, anywhere in the US could grow all the pot they need for their own use, in their own garden or makeshift green house, literally for free.

The price would go near zero. There would no black market. And there would be no tax 'benefit' to rationalize it.

That is where it will all end up eventually - as long as legal outlets are charging $400 per ounce for something that literally grows like a weed, there will still be a black market.

Sooner or later someone will sue the government, and argue that if its legal, then its LEGAL, and you cannot stop people from growing flowers, tomatoes and pot for their own use.
This is a valid point and I have never thought about this. I still do not think this would ever happen. Economies do not work this way naturally. The only way I think this would happen is if the gov. put an extreme tax on the product, then you would get more people growing for own consumption and less tax revenue. This is called the Laffer curve. The gov, would never do that and people would not be forced to grow their own. Why don't people make their own beer? You can buy the materials to make it at the grocery store. The reason is that it won't be nearly as good and practically not any cheaper. Same with pot. Growing pot is a hell of a lot harder than just planting it and watering it. You can watch series on Netflix on what it takes to grow weed. You can grow tobacco and role cigs. Why don't people do that? Because it takes time and energy. Two things that Americans are not willing to sacrifice when you can just simply buy the item/product.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Im pretty sure at $400 per ounce your average gardener can grow more for a years supply, and more than they could afford to buy from a legal store.

At $15 per hour someone would have to work for 30 hours a week (before taxes) to buy an ounce of weed a week.

whatever they could grow for free I think a lot of people would be happy with it... esp after they start using it.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I roughly remember watching a news story on pot after it was legalized in Colorado, and them saying it was selling for $350 / ounce in the state controlled and taxed stores.

I was reluctant to google "the average selling price of pot" on my office computer at work, but now that I have the chance to look it up, in Colorado the average price before taxes is $200 / oz. I don't know what the tax rate is, but I'm guessing its nuts.

I buy a bottle of scotch around the winter holidays, and it can last 6 months or more. The most I have paid is a little over $100 for 750 ml. I might spend $200 for something unique and it would last me a year.

Back in the 60s before pot was criminalized and treated like a narcotic by Nixon (for reportedly dubious reasons), it was pretty much everywhere and sold for $5 to $10 for a small amount. I was not in my teens yet back then, and I didn't know anyone that used pot, but the culture back then seemed to be that a lot of average people were using it.

I cannot imagine the average person spending the kind of money being charged in the states where it is legal now - it has to be a very small market. But the point still remains: I don't see any way the states can say it is legal for certain people to grow it and sell it, provided it is highly taxed, and then say it is not legal for people to grow it and use it themselves, like you would grow tomatoes and beans in your garden.

Its either harmful and dangerous and needs to be banned, or its not. Sooner or later this will all come to the surface and the only logical thing the states can do is make it legal for anyone to grow and use.

I don't have a horse in this race either way, that is simply my opinion as an outside observer.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
When it becomes legal in Canada this summer, there will be a lot of restrictions. Each province has it's own rules, but here in NB it will only be sold by government controlled outlets (like alcohol is here). The legal age will be 19, the same as alcohol. And smoking it in a vehicle, driving or not, is a big no no. Same goes for smoking in public. Since it's pretty much illegal to smoke cigarettes anywhere these days, that law is already in place. They're working on a way to test for impairment while driving, which is law enforcement's biggest concern.

Everyone will be permitted to grow one plant in their home for personal use. They were going to have a height restriction, but besides being difficult to enforce, the best way to grow it is to keep it low and let it spread out anyway, so they scrapped that law. There are already stores in town specializing in everything you need to grow it indoors (for tomatoes and other 'indoor gardening' they claim, but the 'Marijuana Blend' written on the bags of potting soil kinda says it all - lol).

As far as it being dangerous, no, I don't buy that. Like someone posted earlier, it being made illegal almost a hundred years ago was purely for monetary reasons. Yes, it's a lot more potent than it was back when I smoked it 25+ years ago, but it's no worse than alcohol if used responsibly (as is the case with with alcohol). In some cases it can be considered less dangerous than alcohol. I used to live in an Inuit community in northern Canada where alcohol was illegal because there was too much violence, but the RCMP looked the other way for most marijuana use. It simply didn't cause as many problems and it still satisfied their need to alter their reality.

Opponents argue that making it legal is going to make its use more prolific. I don't think so. People smoke it now, and the same people will smoke it when it's legal. Maybe a few more will try it at first, but I doubt overall use will increase in the long term. I'm not sure how it will effect the illegal sales. If the government sets it's pricing about the same and has the same quality, maybe it'll cut down on the black market sales. And of course, it will be taxed to the hilt, so they'll get their cut. But I doubt it will completely eliminate illegal sales. I'm sure there are people out there who would rather give their money to their friendly dealer than to the government.

As for me, I'm taking a wait and see attitude on how it'll all play out. I have 18 year old and 15 year old sons, and I'm not concerned. My oldest will turn 19 3 days after it's legalized on July 1st. If they're going to use it, they're going to use it. They would've found a way even if it wasn't legal. I know I had little trouble getting it when I was their age. At least I know if it's regulated by the government it won't be laced with fentanyl or some other deadly drug.

So, to summarize this long post, I have no issues with it being legalized. To me, it's like debating whether or not alcohol should be illegal.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Employers will still have the right to drug test and terminate employees who come up positive. Also for prescreening employees.
My company sent out an email about it when Colorado legalized it.
And how are cops to determine if you are driving under the influence? It stays in your system for 30 days.
Colorado has become a mecca for potheads that panhandle and just smoke pot all day.
Dangerous? Yes it is. Marijuana contains psychoactive compounds that cause chromosome damage, causes memory loss and impairs judgement especially now being it is stronger and more powerful than pot in the 70 s.
It's not as

·
Registered
239 Posts
Simply put.. there are good points and bad points about pot.. but legalizing it in the long run is good for the government.. good for the consumer and reduces the heavy burden pot places on law enforcement. It will be as much a burden as alcohol after the hype settles after legalization.

IMO opinion.. outlawing cell phone use in a car is a bigger issue to me as motorcycle rider than pot being legal.. the manufacturers of cars are NOT controlled or penalized to reduce the usability of cell phones in a car.. The car companies have actually made it easier to use a cell phone and also added gadgets to make the driver less alert when driving.. ie lane control.. automatic braking.. what happens when we (society) start depending on those features.. we get distracted from what is really important. Driving.

So for me.. make pot legal.. you will always have impaired drivers because it's a choice. We humans don't always make the right choices..Why make everything illegal to solve the issue ??

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my state, keeping it illegal generates revenue. All of the surrounding states made it legal.
The highway patrol confinscates literally hundreds of pounds of pot and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The cops profile out of state vehicles and usually pull them over for a "traffic violation".
Then the person goes to jail for a long time for trafficking. About once a week there is someone getting busted and not little amounts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Employers will still have the right to drug test and terminate employees who come up positive. Also for prescreening employees.
My company sent out an email about it when Colorado legalized it.
And how are cops to determine if you are driving under the influence? It stays in your system for 30 days.
Colorado has become a mecca for potheads that panhandle and just smoke pot all day.
Dangerous? Yes it is. Marijuana contains psychoactive compounds that cause chromosome damage, causes memory loss and impairs judgement especially now being it is stronger and more powerful than pot in the 70 s.
It's not as
They (Government) are trying to create products that will only register if you are high at that specific moment. I believe there are certain products out right now but they are still going through testing. I think once the government introduces this product, companies can have the choice to buy one or not. But I do not think the employer if they choose not to buy one, should be able to drug test employees in the legal states. People don't care if you drink alcohol or do coke (up to only 3 days half-life) when you're not at work. Just because weed has a longer half-life why should you be punished?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
britt is correct - all the drug testing laws for employers were instituted when pot was illegal in all 50 states.

How can an employer now fire someone for doing something that is legal, unless they show up for work obviously impaired and unable to do their job safely and correctly?

If you show up for work drunk and you are not able to work it is obvious - no blood alcohol test is necessary.

If your boss happens to see you in a restaurant having a glass of wine on the weekend with your dinner, he has no right to fire you.

Its going to take years and multiple court cases to get this all sorted out and settled.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts