Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The bike in question is a Yamaha V Star 950 with about 24 000 km on it (nearing the major tune-up).

She starts fine, runs fine, does not smell weird when running and if not for the fact that it lives in a garage I might have never noticed.

When coming back from a ride, the bike will very slowly let go of a few drops of gas. I noticed because I came back to the garage and it smelled more like a gas station than usual.

It's only a few drops and only after a ride, but it bothers me because I can't find the source. I tried letting the bike run and then trying to replicate the leak, but no dice, it's so small I might not even notice it.

The bike is entirely stock.

Any clues? Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Can you ignite the drops? Sometimes a leak around an exhaust connection at the end of the header pipe will drip some condensation out onto the ground. The heat shield covers up the source. Otherwise, you'll get a brown varnish layer at the source soon enough.

Another place you might look is the air cleaner. Check the inside of the housing.

The reason I would suspect condensation (if, in fact, is) is the time of year. Colder starts and longer warmups tend to cause water to collect. It's just like when you see cars that drip water from their tail pipes. If those drops don't ignite, suspect condensation.

Got a pic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's too far from the exhaust to be it. It's closer to the front left of the bike. I checked the inside of the air filter housing, but apart from the fact that it'll need to be changed at the next maintenance, nothing that would suggest anything is weird there.

If it leaked all the time I would think a fuel line got cracked or something, but it only happens when the bike ran and became really warm...?

I can't go for a ride today, but I'll try and go for one tomorrow and snap a pic of the few drops it leaves behind, maybe their position will give some indication of where it's from?

Thanks for the help :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts