Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am new to this forum...Very glad to find it! I own a 2008 1100 Classic with a fair amount of mods including a stage 3 jet kit, Hard Chrome K-2's and a pro series Hyper charger. My question is this... I have gone back an fourth with diferrent jets including the ones that came with the hyper charger to the Thunder jet stage 3 kit and my issue is that i cannot get the exhaust to sound right ( lots of gurgling on decel). I have already installed the AIS bypass and checked for exhaust/intake leaks. I keep hearing that it is just a characteristic of the aftermarket pipes. Oh by the way, I have been through different exhaust set-ups as well (factory exhaust mod and Cobra slip-ons) Now using the Hard Chromes. I have never had an issue with way the bike runs, just the sound. So now here I am again not satisfied. I have been looking at the Max-Air kit and see lots of positive feedback, but I am not ready to drop more $$ if it won't fix my issue. Please Help!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
have the Max Air Kit on my 2002 1100 Classic. I'm not happy. I also have Cobra Dragsters. I find that while the bike sounds great from take off. The sound is good through the whole RPM range. The down side is that the power seems to fall off above 55 mph. No pull. Lots of low end, nothing at the top. I'm going to re-jet over the winter and add a PCS Monster Pro 2 into 1 pipe. I may even go back tot he stock airbox setup. PCS claims that the airbox feeds both carb equally instead of mainly the front carb. I also noticed pipe on rear cylinder is turning color (yellowing). I can't seem to find anyone who can fix the jetting to make this kit work. I guess if you're using it fro drag only it's fine. But I do alot of highway riding and the power just isn't there with Max Air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input....I knew that there had to be more opinions out there than what Max Air has posted on there website...LOl. Do you have any issues with the exhaust on decel (popping, crackling etc...)? Right now that is my biggest complaint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the input....I knew that there had to be more opinions out there than what Max Air has posted on there website...LOl. Do you have any issues with the exhaust on decel (popping, crackling etc...)? Right now that is my biggest complaint.
The only popping that I got was before I removed the AIS system. In fact it used to shoot a flame about 15 inches long from the pipes. lol I burned a dudes jeans at bike week. He thought it was cool though. Good thing because he was bigger than me.. It does give a little pop as I let up on the throttle in low speed conditions under 30 mph. But nowhere near as bad as it was with the AIS connected. And never as bad as...dare I say it....a Harley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too Funny! I could just picture that scene..(waiting for his reaction)..Oh good, he's smiling. I don't have to run now! Thanks for the feedback.. I am probably splitting hairs now with the popping. I have spent countless hours tuning and re-tuning (expecting perfection). Maybe i'll just spend my energy shifting through some gears!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts