Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed the maxair kit plus idle screws and have nasty pooping with constant throttle and have gone through carbs twice and synced twice. I tried the raise the needle and that didn't work and tried to up both jets to no prevail and rear spark plug is ghost white, I didn't check front yet.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,934 Posts
All settings are close approximations from many years of real world experience from multiple people. The suggested settings get you close. Try turning the PSM screws out 1/4 turn at a time to fine tune, provided everything else is good. Have you checked your exhaust gaskets. A leaking exhaust gasket will allow extra oxygen into the exhaust when you close the throttle and will get an exhaust pop.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
did you get needles with the screws? how many notches 5 or 6? Backfire on constant throttle is from being rich isn't it? what did the plugs look like when you changed them?

·
Registered
04 V Star 1100 Custom
166 Posts
I would run stock needles I read they work better with max air my kit should be here tomorrow from maxair and I am leaving my stock needles one place

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I tried bigger jets and it took top end popping out but still had 20 to 60 ish percent throttle back fire.
147 mains 17.5 pilots 3 turns on the screws and 2 shims or you have to experiment with the notches. sorry thats all i can tell you.Are your plugs black or white?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
yes stock needles at some point went to notches. mines a 07 and it doesn't have notches, so theres no set rule. mikuni needles have a different taper than dyno needles so if you have mikuni needles you should use miluni jets.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts