Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to decide on a pod kit for my 2003 1100 Silverado but I can't decide which kit to purchase. I know I want a pod kit, they obviously are a great mod. Only engine mods I currently have are a disabled AIS and V&H Classic II exhaust.

I have read on each site about each kit, but would love to hear input from the End Users, you folks, about what you encountered with the kit you chose to install in effort to determine a few things, like:

Which is the best value, or easiest to install, or has better parts, pro and cons of each kit, how the kit has held up, what your would have done different, is one better then the other and why, ect.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Chubby all day bro. Start looking at customer service compalints about the maxair or heck their service period and you will change your mind quickly. The chubby you could probably put together a little cheaper that what they have it for but when I say cheaper I mean 20 -30 cheaper so factoring gas and your time its just not worth driving around for. The instructions for both simply suck so you know go to the forum and print off the carb stuff and use that with the instructions provided so when you scratch yoru head wondering where the part is your looking to change you can figure it out if your not to carb smart.

If you weren't in oregon I would help you do it for a case of beer... The hardest part is pulling the carbs and putting them back in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I,ve heard that the Chubby kit requires you to glue the pods to the carb, and the Maxair comes with step downs and clamps. Im sure I could mok something to do that but, that's the stuff im just not sure on.

Is that true?

·
Registered
458 Posts
You dont have to but you can or just use an exhaust elbow from autozone or some other shop that works great. I just glued mine as the elbow has two attachments points and I don't plan on going back to stock. Now its just one screw to get to the front of the carb instead of two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
max air

i went with the max air. no problems at all. customer service was good and prompt with all answeres. instructions includied were easy and straight forward. had for a year now with great results.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What do you guys mean by gluing the chubby pods to the carbs? The kit only came with a small bottle of temporary glue that I'm pretty sure is used to glue the filters to the elbows so they don't slip off since there's not much length on the filter neck to securely clamp it, at least that's what I did.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
There's no need to buy elbows and no need to glue with the SS kit.

Just shy of 10k miles with my Chubby kit, rain, heavy winds, etc...no problems. Just tighten them good, not too much to deform the filter but enough to grip it firmly.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What do you guys mean by gluing the chubby pods to the carbs? The kit only came with a small bottle of temporary glue that I'm pretty sure is used to glue the filters to the elbows so they don't slip off since there's not much length on the filter neck to securely clamp it, at least that's what I did.
That's exactly what we are saying. Glue the elbow to the filter attach elbow to carb and screw it down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If somebody with the Chubby kit could elaborate a bit more on what they did to attach the filters to the carbs, that'd help. I think that sounds like most common issue with that kit and the rest of sounds like a quality kit.

I know what an exhaust elbow is, but what did you guys do in regards to the fitting being a different size. I thought I read somewhere that one part is 2 1/2" and the other is 2 1/4".

God what I would give for a detailed pictoral install of the chubby kit. Any one happen to have a link to something like that? I haven't came across a good thorough one.

I just want to go into this prepared. I live in an apartment community and don't want to have to leave the bike torn apart in my carport to get a random chunk of parts in the middle of this. And don't want to "Mickey Mouse" the install either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This might help.http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100/startGo to the top left corner an click on web page.Then click on number 5.An -click on carb an intake-.Lot of good info on the 1100.Iwent with the pod kit from ss custom. Heres how I did mine.Use your oem elbows. Add some duct tap to hold the metal in place.Just slide it on the elbow an tightin enough so the fliter won't pull out.It works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bro you'll be fine. You'll pull the carbs set the aside put your tank and seat back on. Take your carbs and old parts to your apartment. Do the carb internal there. Take it out reinstall and go riding. It's a two hour job at best even not knowing what you're doing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed the Maxair with no real problems at all. Entire install start to finish took 3 hours with help from my brother-in-law. Might have taken less without the help... I found the instructions to be quite clear and easy to follow. The reducing "sleeves" that connect the filters to the elbows are machined aluminum, nicely made. Oil breather hose connects directly into the K&N's so a separate oil breather filter is not needed. It's a nice clean set up. I rejetted following the instructions and the bike started right up and runs great, with more power and no more dead spot right off of idle. I haven't checked fuel economy before and after so can't comment on that, but my '02 is like a different bike now. Couldn't be happier with the results.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its a 2 inch x2-1/2 inch sleeve overall is 1-3/4,you will need the old style main jet holder. i found the hardest part of the job was removing the bowl screws.
Which kit was that from? And if you had to get those yourself where did you get them at? And how much $ were they?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I did them myself.i followed the kb. they are just reducers about 4 inches long which i cut down with a hacksaw only cost a few $$ each.the filters are K&N RC -1150 3 INCH TALL.i got jets from niche cycles in florida
I was looking into doing that as well but the filters alone were around 45 a piece times two, 1 oil filter air filter 15, 8 bowl screws 2, main jets 15 each, idle jets 10 each. It came out to be about 140ish to get everything for the job and I still had to hunt down the little washers for my needles as well probably 5 dollars for a pack. So 160ish at SS customs looked like a steal to me considering it all came in a package with everything I needed right there. Less headache less hassle more time enjoying the bike and not the parts stores.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts