Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting V-Star owners and enthuasists. I have a 2003 1100 V-Star Classic. I want to add speakers & amplifier so that I can add music to my ride. I probably will connect an iPod or mp3 player. What I need to know is what is the electrical capacity limits of accessories that can be added? The only add on accessory I have are the Yamaha passing lights. I am not sure what their amp draw is on the system. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and ride safe!:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have looked for the max output for the charging system but can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe the dealer service department can give you some insight. I am thinking though the max load is around 350-400 watts, or 60-70 amps.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nominal output 14v 350watts at 5000rpm. Normal usage for lights is 97watts which goes up to 150watts intermittently when making a turn. Wasn't able to find anything on ignition system load. I'm gonna say thats about 75 watts, so that leaves you about 125watts or about 10A to play with at 5000rpm. It will go down the lower your RPMs.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You could extend that by going to LEDs on the tail/brake and turn/marker lights. LOL Either way you're not gonna run a 400wt Phase Linear Power Amp. Your Battery is there for the intermittent surge of more than your bike can put out, but thats really taxing the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input all. I was planning on installing the Pyle PLMCA30 200 watt system. Not sure if this will work or cause any electricl problems. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well you've got 10A to play with and that's a 20A system so yeah that could be a problem. Actually I don't know what the current draw at 12v that system pulls, but anything over 10 amps is gonna push it. Look at the manufacture plate or nomenclature in the systems book and see what the current usage is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts