Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2017, I was lured away from my V-Star 1300 deluxe by an irresistible deal on a 2016 H-D Ultra Limited. Three years and quite a few $$ later, I have it where it's not too bad a ride. But there's things about that still are not to my liking -- it's top heavy, the handling good be better, and for these size motor (103) it's underpowered. Add the fact that I no longer have a local H-D dealer. My Local Yamaha dealer has a left over 2018 Eluder with the TC package, and has made me a killer deal. I'm looking for feed back from anybody who's had one for a while to see how it's working out. I'm doing some searching around the inter-webs and found a few things that I'd like to confirm as real problems or not:
  • Some folks have had trouble with electrical gremlins.
  • The Nav/infotainment system has pretty much been orphaned and is unsupported.
  • There have been reports of fuel pump problems
  • It's a big, torquey motor, so no need to over-rev it
And some questions:
  • what kind of fuel mileage are you getting? My H-D gets about 43 in everyday work. I suspect the Eluder will not do quite that well, but I'm curious
  • How many miles are you getting out of a set of tires? Heavily influenced by the right wrist, I know, but wondering if these things chew up tires like the old Stratoliner did.
  • Everybody mentions the heat coming off the motor, but that no real surprise to me, and coming of the H-D, ain't real scary either.
  • Are the saddle bags really weather proof?
Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
Star Eluder
33 Posts
Welcome back. Once you ride the eluder you'll have to have it. (I did, as soon as I test drove it I was hooked.)
To answer your questions:
1) I get 45 mpg out touring the countryside and a little less driving back an fourth to work in town.
2) I'm at 12,000 on the stock tire and it's time or a new one. Current one could have gone further but it got a cut on it and I'm waiting until next season to get a new one.
3) Heat is tolerable. Yes it get's hot but not literally burn you hot. Others have been burned but it is weirdly bike specific you might get lucky like me and get one that doesn't run as hot.
4) Saddle bags are indeed completely waterproof. I ride in the rain more than I like to and none of my gear has ever gotten wet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just picked up my Eluder 1-1/2 months ago and only have a little over 600 miles on it. I went from a Vstar 1300 to a Roadstar 1700, both 2007's and I still have those bikes. The Eluder by far is a my favorite bike and think if your getting anywhere close to the deal I got ($14,999 out the door) with no setup or destination charges, you can't go wrong. This is a much refined version of the Roadstar motor that came out in 1999 with the air cooled V-twin, 4 valve per cylinder motor. Even though I've seen people say it's the same motor as the Strat or Roadliner, it's not, it is a new design. As far as comparing to a Vstar 1300, there's no comparison. The Vstar 1300 may have a couple of advantages, like less weight to move in parking lots, water cooled so less heat from motor to deal with, and is higher revving (6k rev limiter) but really nothing else. If you are more like a sport bike rider and like running your rpm's up from every stoplight, you may like the Vstar 1300 better, but the Eluder just doesn't need that. I've read that some people think the Eluder redline could of been a little higher, but it doesn't bother me a bit. The original Roadstar 1600 was a little to low at 4200 redline, but the upped that on the 1700 through 2007 to 4750. There's so much more torque, you don't need to rev it to redline in my opinion.

Handling while moving is great, way better than my Roadstar, and probably on par with the much lighter Vstar 1300. The the static weight to move in a parking lot can be a little bit of a choir, depending on grade and surface of parking area.

One thing I've read for comparison to the Harley, is most of the bigger Yamaha's V-twins, Venture/Eluder included, have a about a 3" longer wheelbase, so they may be more comfortable for a taller riders to stretch out.

Your the first I haven't heard of any electrical gremlins.

The original navigation on my bike Rev xx11.xx seems to work ok, but I haven't got the headsets, or tried bluetooth or CB, I think that what is affected the most. You can do 2 upgrades, 1st one free, second one you have to upgrade the Maps of $100. But yes, they change the software supplier on the 2019/2020 Ventures that's not compatible with the 2018. Not a deal breaker for me, I don't think I'd ever use the CB and my wife doesn't ride with me so the intercom doesn't matter either.

Don't know about fuel problems.

I've been averaging ~40mpg combination highway and stop and go, haven't done a full tank on the highway.

I have no idea yet of tire mileage yet.

My bike seems to be quit warm compared to the Roadstar. I've hear that it gets cooler as engine breaks in. Dealer I bought it from said to buy the lower wind deflectors, that will help a lot while moving. I ordered some but they seem to be on back order. I hope this isn't any indication that the few accessories that Yamaha has for the Eluder won't be supported from the not so good sales numbers. Maybe more Covid related hopefully.

I haven't ridden in the rain, but the bags have a nice rubber seal that I think should be water tight. My Roadstar Silverado hardbags don't have any seal and they are water tight.

Hope this helps a little. If these bikes are built anywhere close to the Roadstar mechanical reliability, they should last over 200K miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In 2017, I was lured away from my V-Star 1300 deluxe by an irresistible deal on a 2016 H-D Ultra Limited. Three years and quite a few $$ later, I have it where it's not too bad a ride. But there's things about that still are not to my liking -- it's top heavy, the handling good be better, and for these size motor (103) it's underpowered.
I'm sorry, but I can't help you at all when it comes to the Eluder. Maybe you can help me though.

I was wondering if you could compare for me the 1300 to the Harley. Seating position, ride quality, power, vibration, handling, etc. I just sold my 17 RGU and prior to that I had a 13 Ultra Limited. I'm looking for something lighter but don't have a lot to reference. The 1300 Deluxe is one of the bikes I'm considering. It would be used mainly for local rides and maybe twice a year for long trips. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering if you could compare for me the 1300 to the Harley. Seating position, ride quality, power, vibration, handling, etc. I just sold my 17 RGU and prior to that I had a 13 Ultra Limited. I'm looking for something lighter but don't have a lot to reference. The 1300 Deluxe is one of the bikes I'm considering. It would be used mainly for local rides and maybe twice a year for long trips. Thanks.
This is all highly subjective, but here 'tis:
  • If your RGU had the 107, then power was about the same as the vStar 1300. The 114 is better than the VS, but it's 400cc bigger; it should be. The VS still makes plenty of power, though.
  • The Garmin in the VS is a far superior navigation device
  • No radio on the VS, but didn't really miss it
  • I spent $1500 on suspension upgrades for the Ultra to get it about the same as the VS. I'm also inseam challenged, and put in shorter shocks, fork springs and the kickstand off the 'low' version to help that. The VS fit "out of the box"
  • The stock seat on the Ultra is actually pretty good. You'll be replacing the seat on the VS in short order
  • You may find yourself wishing the VS had a 6th gear. Some folks get around that but swapping the drive pulley for one from a Stryker (one tooth larger)
  • If you like add-ons, the Harley ecosystem is huge. Yamaha, not so much.
  • The stock headlight on the VS is better than the H-D daymaker, and is one of the best I've seen on a bike. Add the accessory running lights and it's even better
  • VS handling is much better.
For the first year I had the Harely, I wasn't convinced I'd traded up

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is all highly subjective, but here 'tis:
  • If your RGU had the 107, then power was about the same as the vStar 1300. The 114 is better than the VS, but it's 400cc bigger; it should be. The VS still makes plenty of power, though.
  • The Garmin in the VS is a far superior navigation device
  • No radio on the VS, but didn't really miss it
  • I spent $1500 on suspension upgrades for the Ultra to get it about the same as the VS. I'm also inseam challenged, and put in shorter shocks, fork springs and the kickstand off the 'low' version to help that. The VS fit "out of the box"
  • The stock seat on the Ultra is actually pretty good. You'll be replacing the seat on the VS in short order
  • You may find yourself wishing the VS had a 6th gear. Some folks get around that but swapping the drive pulley for one from a Stryker (one tooth larger)
  • If you like add-ons, the Harley ecosystem is huge. Yamaha, not so much.
  • The stock headlight on the VS is better than the H-D daymaker, and is one of the best I've seen on a bike. Add the accessory running lights and it's even better
  • VS handling is much better.
For the first year I had the Harely, I wasn't convinced I'd traded up
Thanks for all that. You've got me leaning more in that direction.

I did have the 107. The Ultra Limited had the 103. Comparing numbers I can find on the Internet, I came to the conclusion that the 103 was a little stronger but figured the weight difference would negate that, so they'd be similar.

I have a Garmin for my truck and have always liked it much better than the Boom.

I've got a 34" inseam, never had a problem with the Harleys but wondered how tight the star would be.

I still have an AirHawk cushion, from years ago, that can be put into service until the seat can get sorted out.

I've read about the Stryker sprocket and figured that could be an option if needed. I've also learned about Ivan's mod which reprograms the ECU and seems to get a little more out of it.

As far as add ons go, once I get the comfort and safety stuff sorted out, I pretty much stop there. I'd rather ride than wrench. I suspect, being used, somebody else may have taken care of most of that for me.

The headlight. Now that really surprises me. I've found the Daymakers to be the best I've experienced and just assumed I'd have to upgrade the Star. I ride at night, in the country; lots of critters. I need all the light I can get.

I really appreciate all the info. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The headlight. Now that really surprises me. I've found the Daymakers to be the best I've experienced and just assumed I'd have to upgrade the Star. I ride at night, in the country; lots of critters. I need all the light I can get.
To be fair, I've seen very few LED lights headlights for bikes that I like. My wife's Freewheeler has a Kuryakyn aftermarket LED that does not impress. They seem bright in the day; the light is very intense but doesn't light up anything. The daymaker on my Ultra Ltd makes a very bright puddle of light in front of the bike, about 6 feet wide. Outside of that, dark. I live in critter country as well, so ver y aware. The combination of the standard VS/Deluxe headlight and the Yama light bar lit up the road ditch to ditch.

Edit: +1 for Ivan's flash. I didn't do it, but many who did and said it makes big difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts