Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In old movies (1950s and older) it always seemed to me that motorcycles looked... not right

they looked like they did not lean in turns, like a kiddie ride merry go round, or like the motorcycles were on skids and were being pulled by ropes.

Riding to work yesterday I realized why.

In many older low budget movies, when there are high speed chase scenes, they filmed them with the vehicles going at normal speeds, and then sped up the film on the camera. They did this in cowboy movies too. Having the Lone Ranger ride across the range at 25mph in a full gallop would take 10 minutes, so they sped him up to about 85mph on his trusty Trigger.

The one thing that always gave it away is the dust: it would settle too fast, like the horses and cars were kicking up sand.

So thats why MCs look like they are not leaning right in these old B&W cheap production movies, for the speed they appear to be going, they're NOT leaning at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
I remember noticing that also after seeing several of those old films. I'm a big Three Stooges fan and saw the same thing when motorcycles were in their films.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silver died after running at 85mph all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts