Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an '06 VStar 1100 Classic a few weeks ago, and on three separate occasions I've ridden the bike for 50-75 miles when it drops to idle and won't rev past 1500 RPM unless I let the bike sit for 2-3 hours. It starts and idles just fine, but when it's having problems any gas causes sputtering or the engine just dies. I opened the tank, thinking it might be a vapor lock issue, but no dice.
Since the bike sat for 6 months before I bought it (it has 4K miles on it) I drained the gas & changed the fuel filter and spark plugs and also ran some SeaFoam through the next tank. Problem seemed resolved for awhile, but then had another breakdown last weekend. It's been in the shop for a week and they simply can't figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds fuel related to me. If it's carburated I would want them to take a really long hard look at that. In the automotive feild I'd be thinking stuck float restricting fuel flow. Not sure if that will help or not but that's my thought

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since SeaFoam helped initially, I would suggest it is due to have the carburetors removed, stripped down and cleaned.

Usually it is a matter of crud building up in the internal carburetor passages from fuel oxidation.

Careful inspection may well find the fuel cut set diaphragm has started to dissolve. The 06's were introduced before the 2007 fuel standards came to be, and some of the carburetor materials may not be compatible with the high alcohol levels in the current fuels.

It could be an ignition issue, but testing coil and igniters is best left to the shop unless you have the equipment to do so.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like fuel to me also. I would pull the petcock and clean it.
Using the seafoam and it helping for a while, sounds like fuel delivery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts