Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a memphis shades batwing fairing with a short windscreen. Anyone have any input? Pros/Cons? Fairing vs. just a windscreen?
Anyone have it on their vstar and have pictures?

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
i personally hate to see fairings on a bike unless it's a goldwing or some larger cruiser. i don't see how the wind on your body would make it too uncomfortable to ride at any speed or temperature that would necessitate getting a fairing. as long as you have on jeans and warm gloves, i just recommend getting a windshield.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Putting one on my 1100. Did the trial ride before paint, I like the 12" sheild better. Getting painted this week, along with other parts. When I get it all back will try to post pic's. Watch out for animals, they hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've just put on a batwing fairing among alot of other accessories over the past couple weeks, im almost done with all of my winter mods. and i love how it looks. makes the bike look so much better in my opinion. i will get some better pics when i get the bike outside

Attachments

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
The Strato-s is my very first bike with chrome everything and anything attached to the handlebars, bars internally wired (I hate doing that) and didn't want to hide it all behind a fairing. When negotiating the sale, the dealer wanted to kick the price back up another $1100 and add a custom batwing with a sound system and USB ports. It seems they had one brought in and were going to add it to either the blue strato-s (the one I bought) or onto a red roady silverado-s. I told him to paint it red and put it on the silverado. I liked the idea of keeping the quick detachable windscreen. Put in on for long trips, take it off for the weekly commute.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just rode about 30 minutes in 40 degrees in the dark... I'm thinking the fairing would help me a lot! I like the idea that this one comes off quick and easy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yep the fairing goes on and off quickly as well, i can take it off and put it on in less than a minute and thats taking my time:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
actually i got mine from ebay with everything included for like $370 shipped. that included the fairing, mounting kit and the windshield in any size you want

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got the one I ordered from Shane at SS Custom Cycle for my wifes 650 Custom. Less than $350.00 not inculding taxes. For that I got the Memphis Shades Batwing (black), Trigger lock mounts and 9" windshield....This incuded shipping. Hope to get it installed this week. Great deal and Shane was awesome to deal with.

John

·
Registered
55 Posts
21" would be from top of headlamp, you're talking straight winshields there. With the batwing it goes from the top of the fairing which sits much higher off the headlight if that makes sense. It's not apples to apples. A lot of guys go for the 12" windshield on the batwing and like that. I opted for a 9" as my wife is shorter and the 650 sits a bit lower.

Hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know I just recv it today from SS. her bike is less the air cleaner (sent it out for custom engraving) and in her friends garage so I can't even get the bike home to install it. Hope to have it home and parts installed next week. I can then, but cannot help now. I can tell you I did a lot of research on these and most guys prefer the 12" because of the buffeting. All I got for now though, sorry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice. His price can't be beat. And of course for anyone that that's dealt him with the service is second to none.

What size winshield did you end up ordering?

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went with the 7" I might pick up a taller one at some point for longer trips. We'll see how the 7 works out first.

Now a sissy bar for my wife and some maybe some heated grips too.
Anyone have an OEM sissy bar with brackets and pad they need to get rid of?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts