Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading home from work today and traffic was terrible in the 100 degree heat with heat index of 110. When I get about half way home I see traffic starting to crawl where it normally flows pretty good. Well damn, they scraped off the first layer of asphalt and left these huge grooves in the pavement. The grooves are 1/2 to 3/4 inches deep and are wavy. The bike's tires wanted to follow the grooves. So either the guy who drove the machine was texting while driving or eating his lunch. Guess I'll have to take the long way home adding another 30 minutes to my hour plus commute. Check out the video below and you will see what I mean.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Afwwr6bvd8bPaWEGA

·
Super Moderator
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That bites! How far does it go?
About 2 miles. It has the bike doing all kinds of wobbling around, fast or slow speed. I was stopped at a light and asked one of the road crew how long and he said they were going to be there a few months.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
It looks like they’re scoring it up to re-pave. Hopefully in a day or two it will be a nice smooth surface but we can see how it would suck to drive that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I got on a road like that last week and they aren't fun to ride on, not to mention hard on tires. I remember when I was younger on smaller bikes and finding them nearly impossible to ride on. At least with the wider tires and weight of a cruiser it's not as bad. My little Rebel 250 would get tossed around so much that I had to slow way down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The main road to my house is that way, I've been going the back way for over a month because of it. Looks like they contracted with one group to take off the top layer, then other to re-pave it. It' been this way for well over a month. Really think they should make the driver , or the supervisor, or the machine that scrapes off the top layer ride a motorcycle. In my car it's not bad at all, but on the motorcycle it's scary.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
[Lesblank] Dagnabit! who told them then could repave MY road?! [\Lesblank]

best thing to do is ride in the center of the lane and let it wander

just make sure your BAC is zero!

(Blood alcohol content)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Heading home from work today and traffic was terrible in the 100 degree heat with heat index of 110. When I get about half way home I see traffic starting to crawl where it normally flows pretty good. Well damn, they scraped off the first layer of asphalt and left these huge grooves in the pavement. The grooves are 1/2 to 3/4 inches deep and are wavy. The bike's tires wanted to follow the grooves. So either the guy who drove the machine was texting while driving or eating his lunch. Guess I'll have to take the long way home adding another 30 minutes to my hour plus commute.
BUMMER! That wavy crap is the worst. Sorry to hear it. Tough time of year to get stuck in traffic on a bike.

I can sympathize. I was on my bike in 5:00 dallas traffic. Friday traffic is the pits! Stop and go on I-35 and the Bush. The temp was a 100. Don't know what it was out on the superslab surrounded by running engines, but it felt (and smelt) pretty damn hot. That's what I get for not paying attention to the time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I HATE riding a bike on a road they are scraping to repave.
Whether it's groves or different level of pavement still left. B.B. is thrown all over the road. I have to be super careful riding on a road like that.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My road hasn't been paved in over SIXTY years. Welcome to MA ...

I couldn't see the pic or video there, whatever it was, but I think this is what you guys are talking about ...

When I was 16 and had a '84 KZ700, that was the first time I was introduced to pavement scraping, or grating. I was heading down 495 here in MA, southbound, doing about 70 - hit the wavy pavement, and the bike went into a full lock-to-lock tank slapper. I was used to that by this point - it had happened 10x worse one day prior while trying to catch my buddy on his brand spankin' new Ninja 750R. When I got to the next gas station, my buddy behind me was pale white as a ghost, telling me he thought I was dead, etc., etc.. Cars were clearing the highway around me too, riding in the shoulders on both sides. It's amazing what you can get used to at 16. 🤣

A few months later I finally replaced the stem and swingarm bearings, threw on a set of new rubber, and the bike was rock solid all the way to 130mph. Was a good learning experience for me, then. 😎

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
They cut the grooves that way for a reason , it helps the asphalt adhere better just slow down and don't get tossed off the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It’s fresh chip seal that scares me. With the grooves for a repave, I lighten my grip and keep rolling. I don’t personally perceive any real danger. I just let it wander a little. Maybe I’m just not the sharpest bulb in the sea...
Yeah chip and seal is a pain. They just did a few stretches on my ride home as well. I slow way down and hope I don't meet any yayhoo's driving fast from the other direction pelting me with rocks.

I hit a deer on fresh chip and seal when I was 16 and went down. That will ruin your day. :frown:

·
Super Moderator
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
They almost got the road fixed that I take to get home. Sure is smooth. Almost worth having to take longer way home for a couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This was a county project and not state or federal so it got done pretty quick. I've been in Houston since 1973 and I-45 going to Galveston was under construction then and still is. It's a joke around here the people got their first job on I-45 and have retired working on the same road. Fact is, it's true.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nobody retires from roadwork in this state - they cash in, and buy a house on an island ... or just buy the whole island if they got the job through Beacon Hill connections.

I drove through the panhandle of TX 20 years ago. The highway was beautiful - not a single pothole, or kidney-jarring bridge expansion joint. Wasn't used to that, lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I live about an hour north of Austin in Central Texas. I think of this area as a kind of motorcycle paradise. I've got hundreds of farm-to-market roads surrounding me. 10 minutes any direction and I'm in the country. Within a single day's ride, depending on the direction, I can get to the mountains, the desert, national forests, the ocean, or the plains. And the cool thing is, the *vast* majority of the roads that will take me there are in good condition. Have to give Tejas credit where credit is due.

I used to live in the Houston area, but didn't own a bike then. I'm thinking Les can probably escape the city limits in less than two days if it goes well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts