Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
I have not, but hope someone can try them and give a review. I notice the rear is showing out of stock at DennisKirk (and everywhere else I looked).

I've pretty much given up finding a 200/55R-16 as most are out of stock everywhere I look. Only ones I can find are the Bridgestone Exedra and Shinko SE890 Journey. Not happy with the mileage I'm getting with the Exedras and the one Shinko I've tried failed (separated tread), so I'm a little scared of them. But, if nobody else is going make them I may be forced to try the Shinko again as it was wearing very well before the tread separated.

I've purchased an Avon AV92 Chrome 200/60R-16 for my next rear tire installation (which is coming pretty soon, based on the remaining tread on my Exedra) so hoping it will wear and perform well. I expect some speedo error, but not too worried about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not, but hope someone can try them and give a review. I notice the rear is showing out of stock at DennisKirk (and everywhere else I looked).

I've pretty much given up finding a 200/55R-16 as most are out of stock everywhere I look. Only ones I can find are the Bridgestone Exedra and Shinko SE890 Journey. Not happy with the mileage I'm getting with the Exedras and the one Shinko I've tried failed (separated tread), so I'm a little scared of them. But, if nobody else is going make them I may be forced to try the Shinko again as it was wearing very well before the tread separated.

I've purchased an Avon AV92 Chrome 200/60R-16 for my next rear tire installation (which is coming pretty soon, based on the remaining tread on my Exedra) so hoping it will wear and perform well. I expect some speedo error, but not too worried about it.
Thanks, @AlanRides. I am currently running the Shinko SE890 Journeys, and like the first time I tried them, the rear is wearing very well but the front is cupping out on both sides of the centerline. Also, this current set does not have good wet road capabilities: I have had a couple of close calls under minimal power.

The OEM "J" series Bridgestones were very good, wet and dry. I have also run a set of Bridgestone G852/853 which were (to me) indistinguishable from the "J" set. The "J" set now are NOT cheap, not even from Partzilla. A local dealer just quoted me about $800.00 for the pair.

I have run many sets of Avons on my 2013 Roadliner S and been very pleased with them. Your idea of trying the AV92 in 200/60R-16 sounds sensible.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
Thanks, @AlanRides. I am currently running the Shinko SE890 Journeys, and like the first time I tried them, the rear is wearing very well but the front is cupping out on both sides of the centerline. Also, this current set does not have good wet road capabilities: I have had a couple of close calls under minimal power.

The OEM "J" series Bridgestones were very good, wet and dry. I have also run a set of Bridgestone G852/853 which were (to me) indistinguishable from the "J" set. The "J" set now are NOT cheap, not even from Partzilla. A local dealer just quoted me about $800.00 for the pair.

I have run many sets of Avons on my 2013 Roadliner S and been very pleased with them. Your idea of trying the AV92 in 200/60R-16 sounds sensible.
Good to hear about the Avons. They are more expensive but I hope to get better tread wear from them.

The poor wet weather handling of the Shinko makes sense as the rubber compound must be really hard (based on the excellent tread wear I saw), but that could surely compromise wet traction as you have observed.

I am running the Avon Cobra Chrome on the front right now and it seems to wearing well. Haven't been on any significantly wet roads with it, but it's been ok on the little bit of moisture I've encountered. I've only got about 4k on that tire, but tread seems to be holding up well so far. Time will tell. The bike does seem to handle differently than with the Bridgestone, seems to be easier to initiate a turn, which took a little getting used to. (I haven't checked my steering bearing nut torque for a long while....I should probably do that sooner rather than later....I think the maintenance interval on that is 4,000 miles....oops.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts