Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2004 V-Star 650 Classic

I have no idea about the actual mileage of my old tires because they were on it when I bought the bike. The rear was a Dunlap D404 from 2011 and the front was a Bridgestone G703 from 2007. My road trip last week finally got the old 404 down to and a little past the wear indicator. The front was OK from a tread depth standpoint but I figured it was worth replacing just on age anyway.

I've known this was coming and have had my eye on a set of Michelin Commander II's. I've seen nothing but good reviews of these tires and I have always been pleased with Michelin on my other vehicles so I decided to give them a shot. Saturday was the day.

I've heard horror stories about how slick new tires can be until they get a few miles on them, so I set out with a great deal of caution. As it turns out, this was really not necessary. Straight out of the box these tires seemed to have at least as much grip as what I took off. As I've put a few miles on them in the last two days they seem to only be getting better. More than once I've had to adjust the way I took a turn because they have been so responsive that I've found myself nearly crossing the yellow line when I would have been nowhere near it on the old tires.

So far I am VERY well pleased. Now if they will just last as long as Michelin claims, I'll continue to be pleased.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I too have installed the Michelins recently. They seem to handle well and respond nicely, but I think that any new tire will seem more responsive than the old worn ones that were replaced. Like you, I'm waiting to see if the claims for increased service life (mileage) hold true.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a little under 1000 miles on mine and am very happy also. I have only ridden in the rain once so I can't say if the wet traction is as good as claimed (main reason I bought them).

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Love my commander IIs but I also only have about a 1000 miles on them so we'll see on long wear. I'm MUCH happier with them than the stock tire and find them good in the rain, though I just hate riding in the rain in general!

·
Registered
318 Posts
After a few weeks of riding on the Michelins I've observed that they handle irregularities in the pavement that are parallel to the direction of travel better that my previous tires. I usually try to avoid these, but sometimes they are unavoidable such as when changing lanes in busy traffic. It's comforting to know that they won't send tremors up to the handlebars like the old tires did. I have yet to ride them over a steel grate bridge, but I suspect that they won't tend to wander as much as the old tires.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi, been on hiatus for a while, lots of riding been done. I've recently replaced my Michelin Commander II tires. Overall I was able to get 20,000 miles out of the rear tire. I was really impressed. Unfortunately they were back ordered with a three month wait for my bike so I am trying the Metzler 888 on the rear. Keeping the Commander II on the front, it wasn't backordered. After this set as a comparison I will most likely go back to the Commander II or the darkside.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I put the commander II's on my 650 Classic not too long ago and I have to say that so far I'm not liking the way the bike feels now. Replaced both front and rear, got rid of the Dunlops. They were far past due, the rear was a slick for the last 2000 miles of its service and the front was 4 years old.

Right from the get go with the Michelins leaving the bike shop I noticed the bike only wanted to go straight and made slow manuvers difficult. I was like WTH is going on? It's strange, like the bike now feels much heavier or something and wants to tip over if making a very slow turn. Then, the other thing that is weird, when going through the first few gears the rear tire almost feels as if it's floating around on me. Bike feels squirrely.
Everything is tight and lined up so who knows. The bike is smooth enough on the open road so they seem balanced right.

The 650 isn't a real heavy bike and I felt my bike was quite nimble. The commander II's make it seem like a totally different bike and not in a good way. I've never had a problem making tight turns on it at slow speeds but now it's like my balance is off or something. Strange huh? Oh well, as long as they last longer than the Dunlop 404's.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Right from the get go with the Michelins leaving the bike shop I noticed the bike only wanted to go straight and made slow manuvers difficult. I was like WTH is going on? It's strange, like the bike now feels much heavier or something and wants to tip over if making a very slow turn. Then, the other thing that is weird, when going through the first few gears the rear tire almost feels as if it's floating around on me. Bike feels squirrely.

The 650 isn't a real heavy bike and I felt my bike was quite nimble. The commander II's make it seem like a totally different bike and not in a good way. I've never had a problem making tight turns on it at slow speeds but now it's like my balance is off or something. Strange huh? Oh well, as long as they last longer than the Dunlop 404's.
I've noticed that squirrely feeling too with every tire replacement, but it seems to go away as I become accustomed to the new tires. I think it's simply due to suddenly going from tires with a flat contact patch to a round contact patch.

I've got 6K miles on mine and there's still a lot of tread left. 10K to 12K wouldn't surprise me given my riding style.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Say no to Metzlers 888

Hi, been on hiatus for a while, lots of riding been done. I've recently replaced my Michelin Commander II tires. Overall I was able to get 20,000 miles out of the rear tire. I was really impressed. Unfortunately they were back ordered with a three month wait for my bike so I am trying the Metzler 888 on the rear. Keeping the Commander II on the front, it wasn't backordered. After this set as a comparison I will most likely go back to the Commander II or the darkside.
Ok couldn't get Commander II tires as they were out of stock everywhere last year so I went with at Metzler 888, supposed to be the new tire that lasts just as long as the Commander II. Wow, what a disappointment, Here it is only 11,500 miles later and it's slick down the middle and looks like I'm about to get in the belts. I got better mileage off the 880's the first time than these tires and a whole lot better from the Commander II's

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only have about 500 miles on my commanders, but I love them.
Smooth ride and turning.
Then again, anything is smoother than Dunlops at 6000 miles.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Dunlop K555 stock rear lasted only 10,000 kilometers before hitting the wear bars marks.
After reviewing comparison tests for cruiser tires I bought the Michelin Commander 2 for my V Star 950T. 180/65/16.
What an improvement over stock. Probably going to get 3 to 4 times the life if reports are true, an it is better in every way. Had it balanced too and strapped on stand I can spin up to 160 kph and so very smooth.
On the road smoothness, cornering, stability, confidence are all way better. Cornering is so much better, I can't believe how much lighter and precise the steering is. The rear was having so much effect on turn in, now ligher, smoother and dare I say sporty.
One of those things that work so well you forget it's there doing something because it is no longer the weakest part in the chassis.
Looking forward to replacing the front tire with matching Michelin in the spring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up getting 14692.5 miles on my Commander II rear, and at that point it was worn down to the cords. That wasn't quite as much life as I had hoped, but ultimately I was very pleased with the tire, so much so that I replaced it with one just like it. About 4k miles later I traded the bike on a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. When tire time came for it I went with the Commander II's and continue to be very well pleased. I have a project bike, a Suzuki VS800GL that needed tires. I couldn't bring myself to go with anything else. That means so far I've bought 7 Commander II's and have been very pleased!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Commander II's

Two thumbs up for the Michellin Commander II tires from me as well. Tried several types and the MC II's were the best by far. Broke my heart when I had a flat tire w/only 5K miles on the rear and the dealership I got towed to couldn't get them in quickly. So I now have Metzler 888 on the rear and it definitely tracks and rides differently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts