Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike to the dealer yesterday so they can perform a recall on it. While there I asked about a new front shoe. It's time, as I have just over 18,000 on it. He gave me a couple options and then pointed to this new Michelin Commander II, which Michelin claims nearly twice the mileage as compared to the ME880 and Dunlop 407. And it's only a few bucks more.

I didn't give them the knod to put one on, as I have to research everything first. But I think I like what I'm reading about this tire! These tests are done by a 3rd party and seem very credible. Right now size choices are somewhat limited, but they do make it for my 1300.

I think I'll be ordering one on Monday-- www.jakewilson.com has what I need, and it's $20 cheaper than the dealer!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last sunday I got a flat going over a huge bridge here in Houston.
Yesterday I picked up my bike from the dealer with a new rear 200/55/17r CommanderII on it. $148 for the tire $38 to install and balance. Felt really good - didn't get to ride much because of the rain but feels great so far.
Dealer had to order a tire for me - he can't keep them in stock. I guess the words out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last sunday I got a flat going over a huge bridge here in Houston.
Yesterday I picked up my bike from the dealer with a new rear 200/55/17r CommanderII on it. $148 for the tire $38 to install and balance. Felt really good - didn't get to ride much because of the rain but feels great so far.
Dealer had to order a tire for me - he can't keep them in stock. I guess the words out.
That seems like a good price! I may try that on my 1100 if I can find one. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well its been a month and 600 miles. Feels great and looks like brand new so far.
Still early though, worth a try KC!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have 4000 miles on my Michelin Commander II on the rear of the Strat now. Going to be lucky to get 6K out of it. The tire is no better than any other tire on the Strats!!:mad:

Stratoliners/Roadliners have way more HP & Torque than the HD Electra Glide Michelin used for testing and hype for advertisement claims. No increase in mileage for us!!:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just ordered a Commander II for the rear of my 950. I'm pretty sure I won't have the HP & torque issues the Strats have!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know they are saying that they get more mileage, but if they are like the first commander they came out with you will feel everything in the road, I have a friend that is testing some on a custom bike sense he got them for free from the factory, he said so far they seem ok but the ride is alot rougher with the hardened compound on the commander 2.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Commander II

Bought a set for my 950 V Star on Thursday. So far they're doing pretty good. Started at 24500 miles and just past 25000. First of all, right after installation I didn't have the same touchy feeling as I did when I went to the Metzlers, felt like I was riding on marbles the first 400 miles with the Metz's, the Michelins felt good leaving the shop. I will keep posting to see if I get the mileage they claim - Got 14000 out of the 880's, if I can get 28000 out of the Michelin tires, I'll be very impressed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have 4000 miles on my Michelin Commander II on the rear of the Strat now. Going to be lucky to get 6K out of it. The tire is no better than any other tire on the Strats!!:mad:
Stratoliners/Roadliners have way more HP & Torque than the HD Electra Glide Michelin used for testing and hype for advertisement claims. No increase in mileage for us!!:(
Im kind of glad I ran into this post and cant wait for results (which will be years) from people with lighter bikes like the 1300.
I have heard some compliants about the Commander IIs as well. Such as being hard and also some kind of "harmonic vibration" at certain speeds. Most love them though.

Bottom line for me though is last I checked, they do not make a direct replacement for the 1300. Meaning I wanted the exact fit as called for by Yamaha and not settle for a size made for Harleys.
Anyway, for the time being, I just put on pair of Bridgestone Exedra MAX. The Maxs are supposed to be a little more long wearing the the old Exedras but no claims like the Commander II is making.

Thats ok though, I wanted and exact replacement size and Exedra Max had it, also at $248 For both tires delivered to my house I will hope and pray if I can just get 10 or 12 k out of them I would be thrilled.

I will say this, been riding quite a bit on them since being installed 2 weeks ago. I love them, never had such a well controlled feeling ride, very responsive, requires light input from the rider and really feel comfortable leaning further then I ever did into turns, in fact just naturally. With that said, I almost threw myself off the bike when I first had the tires mounted!!
Picked up the bike, for fun I was swerving s shaped out of the parking lot, feeling the reaction of the tires, holy crap, they were so responsive I almost threw myself off the bike!!! Scared the crap out of me, never felt tires like this and after a brief period of less then 100 miles it became second nature to get used to them, man, Im just amazed, now if they just last a little longer, I will be sold on these tires, right now, all I can say is flawless handling on my bike.

·
Registered
621 Posts
For both tires delivered to my house I will hope and pray if I can just get 10 or 12 k out of them I would be thrilled.
I think you'll be happy. The Exedras are what came on my 950 when it was new, and I just replaced the rear tire last month after getting about 13,000 miles on the original. The front tire's still going strong.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think you'll be happy. The Exedras are what came on my 950 when it was new, and I just replaced the rear tire last month after getting about 13,000 miles on the original. The front tire's still going strong.
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard similar posts from others who were happy about the tires.
I will be thrilled if I get close to the mileage you are. Maybe I will, according to Bridgestones website, the Max is a newer version of the Exedra's and designed to last longer. We will see.
I made sure to get the Bias tire and not the radial. Figuring I did want swishy side walls. (if that makes sense) Wanted firm tires and never having really examined motorcycle tires before, all I know is the sidewalls of these tires are rock solid firm and maybe why they seem so responsive. Im not a tire expert though, just know what I feel.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bought a set for my 950 V Star on Thursday. So far they're doing pretty good. Started at 24500 miles and just past 25000. First of all, right after installation I didn't have the same touchy feeling as I did when I went to the Metzlers, felt like I was riding on marbles the first 400 miles with the Metz's, the Michelins felt good leaving the shop. I will keep posting to see if I get the mileage they claim - Got 14000 out of the 880's, if I can get 28000 out of the Michelin tires, I'll be very impressed.
Ok 1100 miles later and I'm still liking the Michelin's so far. Fuel economy has improved quite a bit which seems odd to me. Jumped from 56 mpg up to 62 mpg just from changing the tire? That alone makes the tire worth the money if I get more than 12000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sitting close to 3000 miles on the Michelin and it looks almost new. Hopefully the results will be in this time next year as to whether they last 28000 miles or not. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok, 4000 miles and they still look like new, I'm getting excited that they may last longer than others.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Now at 9000 miles and there's still plenty of tread. Looking good for a tie with Metzlers which means with the lower price and fuel improvement, it could be put on again, but Metzler has the new ME888 which touts 50% better tire wear also now.

Whoo hooo, three years on the site.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Close to 11,000 miles and still plenty of tread left to wear out. Pretty impressed with the tire so far.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Close to 11,000 miles and still plenty of tread left to wear out. Pretty impressed with the tire so far.
Good to hear. I just put a Commander II 180 65 16 on my wife's 950 about 1,000 miles ago. This is the 4th tire at almost 16,000 miles. Original Bridgestone then a Dunlop then a Metzler which got the most miles about 7k. I put my 4th rear tire on my Stryker same time as the 950 with only 10,500 miles on it. First Bridgestone got 3,000 miles completely baled then a second Bridgestone got a chunk of metal in it at 2,700 but was looking pretty bad by then anyway so I put a Metzler 240 on it. Got 4,850 off that one and put a Dunlop E3 on it 1,000 miles ago. Just ordered the Michelin C II 240 40 18 because they finally had them in stock. As soon as my front tire is gone I will get a C II and change them both at the same time.
As you can see the roads where I ride most of the time tear tires up so we will be putting these Michelins to the test.;)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cool, hope these work out for you. Sounds like your roads eat the tires up bad. Just got the bike back from it's valve adjustment, checkout. Still have 6/32 tread left, from what I can tell they start with 9/32 so I'm not even halfway through this tire at 11,000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello . Need a little advise gents . I can't keep tires on the back of my Roadliner . I getting 11 - 12,000 klm or 6-8,000 miles . I have corbin bags on the back ,and keep on the air pressure , ride solo ,don't get it . My friend has the stratoliner with the factory bags with little inprovement . Bridgestone exedra max have been the choice of tire because of the tire sizes . I'm going with the michelin commander ll next , with the bigger tire on the rear ( 200 55 17 ) any problems ,fit ,drivablity. PLease let me know gents . I'm tried of the lack of mileage i'm getting from bridgestone .Thank you .....

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well, the commander II in the 200/55 17 is a good choice. I went with the Metz in same size.

If you want serious mileage you'd have to go to the Darkside. Not my area, but plenty to find with a search and I'm sure someone will fill you in shortly.

Good luck - ride safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 43 Posts