Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was watching a video where a guy gets pulled over for speeding in Michigan. he's from out of state. the cop says it's law that they have to keep the license in lieu of a bond to make sure the offender takes care of the ticket and then they mail the license back to you. can anybody confirm this? never heard of it and can't find the Michigan statute for it. that seems absolutely absurd.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
What BS, he cannot keep the licence, what if the guy gets pulled over again, or he needs to get on a plane to get home?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's not an unheard of practice and tt may vary from state to state and in some cases city to city. I'm originally from Georgia and when I was a brand new driver a cop took my DL and told me that if I got stopped again to show the next cop the ticket that had all of the information on it. Got it back after I paid the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in that same clip, the driver gets pulled over again a short while later and another cop said the same thing. the driver kept his license because he explained to both of them that he has to have it to board a plane in a couple days so they both reluctantly let him keep it. this guy was doing a speed run across the country so he and his buddies in other cars were racking up a bunch of tickets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is complete crap. I hope the driver got the cop's name, badge number and called his precinct. Unless they arrest you they can't take your license.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i was watching a video where a guy gets pulled over for speeding in Michigan.
Do you have a link to the video? I'd be curious to see it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bevo - thanks for posting the video. Looks like in Michigan, it's standard practice to confiscate your license. Makes me really glad I don't live there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts