Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts
I'm still puzzled by this being an issue with the XVS1100, but hardly every heard about on the XV1100, which have the same set-up.
It appeared that the axle nut holding the ujoint yoke to the output shaft was not correctly touqued from the factory. The nut would loosen up and cause havoc. There were enough that had this issue that it's recommended to properly touque the nut then strike it. It's a very expensive and major repair. That's why the fix listed above is a very good repair that lasts for years.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
590 Posts
Than you for explaining. I still find it strange that Yamaha managed to torque the nut correctly from 1981 until 1999 on the Viragos, then failing to do so for 10 years on the Stars. If I were to risk a guess, I would say there are likely more loads possible on the open drive system with the imprecise mounting of the final drive unit that what was the case with the internal running shaft on the Viragos. If, for some reason, the U-joint and final drive unit does not line up perfectly, the U-joint will have to cope with both up and down as well as sideway movement/lack of alignment, which will cause more loads and more vibrations. But I am just speculating.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts