Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
is that a 650?

... just saw your other post, its an 1100.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
soap the engine down good with laundry soap and a brush, hose it all off and let it dry - make sure the oil is really coming from where you think it is.

I thought the drive shaft output seal was leaking on the back of my 650 engine a few years ago. I was getting a few drips on the garage floor right where the drive shaft comes out of the case, and there was oil everywhere on the engine case and cylinder fins, like the spinning drive shaft was throwing it.

It was actually the rear tappet cover all the way on the top of the rear cylinder head. Oil and grease have an un-believable ability to creep across metal surfaces and propagate across the engine case on it way to dripping on the garage floor.

The tappet covers have an o ring "gasket", if you dont change that oring when you adjust the valve clearance there is a chance it will ooze oil.

Im not saying your mid-drive seal is not leaking... just make sure before you tear into the motor.

These engines are very reliable, and a shaft seal leaking for no reason is rare. Having a o ring ooze after pulling a tappet or other engine cover off for maintenance is very common if the oring was not replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey KCW thanks for the info. I have never heard of that seal going bad either, I have pulled the rear wheel and drive line to the u-joint. Used a flashlight and looked in as best as I could. There is oil and dirt mixed just below the u-joint seeping out. While reading the manual,it looks like I have to pull the shock and swingarm just to get to the u-joint. Have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
has the bike been sitting below zero F?

I know coolant hoses can seep when its bitter cold, I think the metal pipes shrink enough in the cold the hoses become a bit loose.

Dont know if that happens with shaft seals.

If its a lot of work to replace the seal, I would clean everything up good and see if its making puddles when you start riding the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts