Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom. I have had it a little over 2 years. It is also my first bike.

I have recently developed an oil leak in the middle shaft area. I am not very mechanically inclined but think I may try to check it out myself. Has anyone had this issue? I am hoping it is a failed o-ring like my other leaks have been. Which I fixed. I have change the front and rear brake pads, an o-ring on the carburetor area, the bearings in my rear wheel. I am learning as I go. Do you think I should take this in to a shop or try this myself? I have tools and a motorcycle jack. Does anyone have any tips? Do I get to this by removing the rear wheel and drive shaft and working my way in? Any info helps.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
purchase a hard copy or download a copy of a repair manual. Every question you asked is answered there. Tons of info. A must have for anyone wrenching on their own bike.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom. I have had it a little over 2 years. It is also my first bike.

I have recently developed an oil leak in the middle shaft area. I am not very mechanically inclined but think I may try to check it out myself. Has anyone had this issue? I am hoping it is a failed o-ring like my other leaks have been. Which I fixed. I have change the front and rear brake pads, an o-ring on the carburetor area, the bearings in my rear wheel. I am learning as I go. Do you think I should take this in to a shop or try this myself? I have tools and a motorcycle jack. Does anyone have any tips? Do I get to this by removing the rear wheel and drive shaft and working my way in? Any info helps.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony, with an oil leak, it is never about where you find the oil....it's about determining where it is coming from. Take a good strong flashlight and look into every crevice and cranny to see if you can follow the trail of oil to it's source. That's the hard part and will take some effort investigating.

Once you determine the exact source, then you can initiate the repairs needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts