Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im a tech by trade but not a lot of experience w these bikes.. Google is my friend but not getting my answer this time..
05 Midnight star 1700.. Just finished the baron jet kit install n his gas gauge reads E n light flashes 8x.. Ordered a new sending unit after reading a ton of threads.. Even jacked up rear n ran bike after reading gauge won't work until bike moves ... This is w bike on lift n sending unit outside of tank in my hand ..

Will sending unit work outside of tank ?

Does it have to be submerged in gas to work ?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I would think it would read empty if its not in the tank, not throw a fault code. Maybe the unit is grounded by being screwed to the tank?

That is questionable, because tanks are usually mounted on rubber grommets.... Try putting an alligator wire from the metal on the sender to a ground point on the frame of the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh n I can move the float by hand so that's not a problem.. Gauge never moves other than initial sweep when key is turned on...,

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
have you checked the connector from the sender back to the ECM with an ohm meter? (disconnect the battery first).

there could be a broken wire in the cable, or a corroded pin/crimp in the connector.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
My 2000 royal star has a low fuel detector. I dont think its working, Ive run it down to 2 quarts of gas and the light never came on.

It would be nice if it worked, but since the engine will start to stumble when it gets down to 3 quarts, and I have to switch the tank to reserve, the low fuel light is redundant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Light works
Light flashes 8x
Gauge sits on E
New gauge changed nothing
Need a service manual so I can see electrical schematic..
Goung from black at plug to battery - shows high resistance but I'm giessing there's lots of parts in between that would cause that..,

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Sorry if I interpreted your "05 Midnight star 1700" incorrectly. I interpreted your bike to be:

The manual link I attached was for this bike, with supplemental updates for newer years toward end of manual. If this is not the correct bike please help us identify which model you have so we can possibly assist you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill have to double check that manual but when I downloaded it n looked through it the other day it was a FI bike n not even remotely the same bike.. I'll double check. Thx

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a similar issue recently. One of the wires from the sending unit was loose in the connector at the top end that connects to the meter/gauge. It looked like it was in but wasn't. I'd pulled a bit too hard when I was moving the meter unit tank cover to disconnect it. I actually bought a fuel sending unit which I didn't have to use but it's here if I need it later. All good now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts