Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what purpose did the designers decide that the left side cover on the stratoliner reqiore a security torx bit to get it off? I mean really...what is the purpose? and why could they not have included it in the tool bag?

anyone in Ontario - Oshawa area know where you can buy these?

papa d

·
Registered
626 Posts
You should be able to buy one a brafasco or stores similar. Where I work we use security bolts and I know they get the bits from there as they supply the bolts.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
They put that there for the seat lock so some just can't unscrew it and steal your helmet when it's locked in place under the seat with the helmet cable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....so no one can steal your helmet ?!....that's a pretty poor design in my mind, and if so should they not provide you with the tool to remove the side cover? I mean, this is a real inconveince....you are supposed to be provided with a small tool pouch to perform some basic repairs....and removing the fuels tank to sya..oh, clean the air filter, requires that side cover removal to detach the fuel line....

Someone dropped the ball on that one....My goal now is to contact Yamaha corp., and have them send me this tool for free !!

stay tuned!

papa d

·
Registered
672 Posts
You should be able to buy one a brafasco or stores similar. Where I work we use security bolts and I know they get the bits from there as they supply the bolts.
You can get a set cheap at Harbor Freight as well if you have one nearby and don't feel like ordering it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
seems like a lot of whining for something that costs about 4.00 for a whole set. i bought mine at a hardware store. they had a cheap china bin with all kinds of crap in it. i bought 2 sets one set went from T7 - T20 and the other set was bigger yet. both were $3.00 each so i invested a whole 6 bucks. they have held up great so far. once you have it you will have it forever if you don't lose it. then all you liner buddies will want to use yours and you can charge them a 12 pack of beer to use it. you will actually make or save a ton of money as beer costs way more than the drivers do.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Harbor frieght sells the whole set for $4.99, and you can buy the individual bits at sears or lowes or home depot or wherever for probably 60 cents. I don't think this is really the end of the world.

Personally, I'd like to throw a thank you out for at least trying to keep stuff secure. A lot of manufacturers don't bother.

example: Suzuki's M50 in 2006, the helmet lock could be removed from the fender with a phillips head screwdriver. That's safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems like a lot of whining for something that costs about 4.00 for a whole set. i bought mine at a hardware store. they had a cheap china bin with all kinds of crap in it. i bought 2 sets one set went from T7 - T20 and the other set was bigger yet. both were $3.00 each so i invested a whole 6 bucks. they have held up great so far. once you have it you will have it forever if you don't lose it. then all you liner buddies will want to use yours and you can charge them a 12 pack of beer to use it. you will actually make or save a ton of money as beer costs way more than the drivers do.
Well ! to start, the problem here in CANADA, where the beer isn't cheap (dollars or quality) is that there are not a whole lot of tool suppliers that actually stock those bits...(and I am pissed about that)...but the pricipal of the matter still stands..if only cost 4 buck a set, why couldn't the f**k'n bastards overseas through in a bit forthe tool pouch...what the price of a yen too much for them?.....someday someone may take notice of the 'screw the consumer' oversight and future riders may be thankful that that they received a COMPLETE tool kit....
that's my 2 cents....oh, hold on I need it back to buy the bit!!!;)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
For what purpose did the designers decide that the left side cover on the stratoliner reqiore a security torx bit to get it off? I mean really...what is the purpose? and why could they not have included it in the tool bag?

papa d
Off your subject just a bit, but in the same vein, ask the designers why, in their infinite wisdom, did they design the 1100 to where a guy has to drop a pipe just to get to the oil filter:eek: One wonders:rolleyes:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well ! to start, the problem here in CANADA, where the beer isn't cheap (dollars or quality) is that there are not a whole lot of tool suppliers that actually stock those bits...(and I am pissed about that)...but the pricipal of the matter still stands..if only cost 4 buck a set, why couldn't the f**k'n bastards overseas through in a bit forthe tool pouch...what the price of a yen too much for them?.....someday someone may take notice of the 'screw the consumer' oversight and future riders may be thankful that that they received a COMPLETE tool kit....
that's my 2 cents....oh, hold on I need it back to buy the bit!!!;)
You're going to be disappointed when you find out that's not the only tool missing from the otherwise "complete" tool kit.

Most motorcycles come with some basic tools, but by no means is it typically a complete kit. This seems like a huge rant over a very simple issues to solve.

·
Registered
53 Posts

papa d
i agree with you, i have had several yamahas with a screw like that. i use a flat blade screw driver to take it out. works every time. you can also replace the screw.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Related issue and my solution.

Ok guys and gals, we already know the toolkits included with our machines, are not the best in the world, they are normally only for emergencies, that is having them onhand may help you with a sudden maintenance issue while your on the road. I have a very full shop myself with SAE and Metric everything, but that only helps if I'm able to get home to the shop. So I hit up sears the other day, and purchased 3 items, all a sears brand, not real full price craftsmen stuff, but decent quality, one, is a set of 3/8 drive Allen/hex bits, covers everything on the bike, except maybe that pesky front axle, also got a nice little set of open end-box wrenches, and a small w/case socket set, all metric. this all fits in a real small tool bag that will reside in my right saddlebag below my raintogs. I also tossed my new SAE allen tools for the fairing hardware in the bag also. So I should be covered a bit better than the stock kit. Oh and it was around 50 $ total.

Have fun.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
What year is your Stratoloiner/Roadliner?? My left side cover is held on with a plain torx screw, not the security torx. But it would be a simple task to take that screw out, toss it into the hub cap full of mis-fit hardware and put in a normal hex socket button head screw. Problem solved.

·
Registered
254 Posts
securtiy torx screw. just a set punch and smack it and walla... regular torx.
And harbor freight nice place to buy tools cheap. I use them for all the tools that i leave laying around and no one steals them. Security bit set 100 pcs. its like 10-bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-91310.html
but yes. like others have said to keep the seat lock safer... but no miff come on engineer he doesn't ride it....lol...
And they don't have anything in the manual except take it to the stealer for a lot of stuff that most of us can do ourselves.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
127 Posts
For the same reason you have to drop your swing arm to change your drive belt, pull the gas tank to change your air filter and spark plugs. Engineers don't work on the bikes their CAD PROGRAMS DESIGN!!:D Go with the flow and enjoy the bike.:D YES, the security torx screw drivers or bits are available anywhere you can buy a screw driver!!:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK guys, it works like this !

Here's my take on it, I'm a tool dude, got stuff most people have never even heard of for tools. Most people on the street, or the types who would probably grab a helmet as a crime of opertunity, would not have a Torx Screw driver in their pocket, most would not know that this screw is what's keeping the helmet safe. Even in the computer trade as I am, I have people who don't know what a STAR or TORX bit is !. So the old saying "keeps the honest people honest " may apply here as a small deterant. You never know. I personally don't use the cable device anyway, I have a lockable trunk, and if I'm parking in the wrong types of area's, I make a show of not leaving expensive leathers and helmets on or in the bags or trunk anyway. Just common sense.
For my tool comment, I build and fly airplanes, have a small machine shop, Tig and gas welding equipment, sheet metal gear. And I'm an electronics tech by trade. So yep, I have some tools.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Papa D .if your miffed that a tool wasn't supplied with you'r bike,Wait till you have to change an air cleaner,spark plugs,transfer case oil,change a battery.Don't get me wrong love the bike,but jamming the 1900 motor in that frame i understand ,pain in the butt ,but i understand .You can buy cheap tools at Princess auto in Whitby.Enjoy you'r bike ,ride a little more and bring a smile back .Twist that throtle..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts