Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I am new to forum but not new to Yamahas. 1977 RD400D 1979 Xs 750 2003 Vstar 1100 classic. I bought all those bikes new . The Xs 750 probably back in the day had the most miles for those days I think I sold it in 1981 with 35k on it . Used that bike alot going to school and work. My V star had about 12k when I sold it to buy my new 2006 Goldwing. My question is this is the 1st time I plan on buying a used motorcycle. I am set on the Vstar 1300 in 08 / 09 model range. There are quite a few in our aera for sale . My question
To those that bought used whats the deal breaker on mileage? If its got a lot of miles do you buy it? .And whats the mileage you pass the bike up at. There are a few here that have very low miles 5 to 8 k. Some in 45 k and above. My Wing I have for sale had 42 k barley broken in for a wing. Thoughts from used buyers please.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bought mine with 53,000 miles on it and in 2 seasons now over 65,000 miles.. only work done was oil changes and brakes..There are quite a few 1300's going strong over the 65,000 mile mark. i have seen some over 120,000 miles and still no issues other than regular maintenance ..clutch ..brakes.. oil changes..plugs.. etc..

I bought mine for $4200cdn 2 years ago but mine is a base model not a tourer or deluxe.. i've seen many deluxe or tourer go for under $5000 us lately.. check the for sale forum.

If i had the option when i bought mine i would have gone for at least a tourer.. hard bags and windshield incl on bike.

Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
where I live in upstate NY there are so many low mileage Vstar bikes for sale that I dont think I would buy one with more than 10k miles on the odo.

It all depends on price of course, but I think I would be more worried about how old the bike is over mileage. Esp bigger bikes, a lot of people buy them and never ride them much, then sell them 10 years later with less than 10k miles on the bike, for 1/3 to 1/4 what they paid for it.

You put a lot of time and energy into your motorcycle, get the one with the most life left in it that you can find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts