Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know roughly how many miles you can go on a tank of gas with a vstar 650. Thats assuming you are driving in the city most of the time, and driving the bike nice. ex: not racing, running unnessary high rpms.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I fill mine up @ 100 to 120 miles, and it ussually takes 2.25 to 2.5 gallons, the listed (I think) capacity of the tank. Thats all in city driving.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know...

My wife ran dry with 178 on the TO. We were in the desert, had been doing about 65 mph. She said she was on reserve for about 28 miles. My 950 still had plenty of gas. We now carry a hose with us for those special occasions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I fill mine up @ 100 to 120 miles, and it ussually takes 2.25 to 2.5 gallons]

I am the same, I fill up between 100 to 120. I have ran out at 140 before going to reserve, but I think that was the first tank that had been ran through the bike and I have not checked again.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My wife ran dry with 178 on the TO. We were in the desert, had been doing about 65 mph. She said she was on reserve for about 28 miles. My 950 still had plenty of gas. We now carry a hose with us for those special occasions.
I am surprised to hear it has a larger tank than my bike but only goes 140 - 170 miles per tank.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Farmall is right- 4.2 gallons. Must have read the specs wrong. That should give about 150 to 200 miles before empty. I've been checking and I get between 46 and 50 mpg, in town driving, highest speed is 45.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 650 and I get about 130 miles before I switch to reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone. So far I have been refueling at 140 miles, and I have not had to switch over to reserve (yet:rolleyes:). Ill just keep to that for now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am a 1%er

I am of the 1% who ride the speed limit or below, Not claiming to be sane, however you don't ride 55 years without being smarter than the average biker!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ride the speed limit too...but it is 80mph and going to 85 shortly.

:-\

·
Registered
778 Posts
I like the speed limits around here. very twisty so I get really good gas mileage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looking at everyone's figures in a lot of different posts on this subject, I've come to the conclusion that Yammi was/is not all that accurate when it comes to the height of the primary feed tube.

I consistantly can squeeze no more than 3.2 U.S. gal in just after running out of main. And that's filling it almost high enough on the filler tube to spew gas when I take off down the road.

Now when talking about mpg (a completely different thing than talking about actual tank capacity and/or tube height), like farmall, I've noticed that there can be a considerable difference between max and min mpg depending on the variables. I've got 6 stop lights and 2 stop signs in the 5.5 one-way trip to work. Stop-and-go City vs. Open-road alone makes a hugh difference in mpg, though I've never gotten as low as 35mpg. I usually have to throw the petcock somewhere between the 138 and 160 mark. Again, that's usually burning slightly over 3 gallons.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I usually hit reserve around 140 to 150, and on her worse day, around 120. I always run 87 octane. I have never pushed the bike until I ran out of gas though but I would love to know how much is left after you switch to reserve.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts