Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Silverado 650. Can anyone else who has that bike tell me how often they fill up. The previous owner told me to fill up every 100-130 miles. seems a bit excessive but I have been doing it out of fear of pushing my bike along the interstate. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2000 V-Star 650 Classic (same as your Silverado, less the bags).

I get about 46 to 48 mpg on my rides. The previous owner told me the range was about 120 miles. I tested the theory one day and it started kind of cutting out a little on hills around 125 miles. I switched to the reserve, and after calculating in my head how far I had to go based on the size of the reserve (0.8 gal if memory serves me, I figured I could go about 40 miles), I pressed on to a preferred gas station, passing up 2 others (I know, stupid, but I really wasn't THAT far from home and had my cell phone with me). I end up going about 148 miles on that tank. Most of it was on 55-mph roads and I'm about 200 lbs, if that factors into your calculations any. Oh yeah, and I could still see some gas in the tank when I finally filled up.

So long story short, I'd fill up about 120 miles - that's what I do. Although it may be a pain (I fill up almost every ride or every other ride), at least you keep your gas fresh with a small tank like that! Earlier this week I accidentally put 87 octane in it and have always used 91. No problem...I filled up again the next day with 91!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 650 custom and get 210 km (130 miles) before I have to switch to reserve. I always fill up after that so I don't how much travelling is left. But, based on Klassick I guess I would get another 40km (25 miles) - that's nice to know - I always wondered.
Dennis :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
How and where you ride is going to make a big difference in your mileage. My 04 650 Classic has gotten as low as 41 MPG and as high as 55 MPG. Riding double, of course, results in lower MPG, but I have gotten as much as 51 MPG with my wife and I both riding. The tank holds a touch over 4 gallons. I have noticed that whenever I hit reserve (125 - 155 miles) that it will take pretty close to 3 gallons to fill back up. I figure it like this: when you hit reserve you have about 1/4 tank of fuel left. Divide how many miles you went since full by 3 and that's a pretty good indication of how much further you can go. If you hit reserve at 120 miles, 120 divided by 3 is 40. So if the 1st 3 gallons took you 120 miles and you are riding pretty much the same way on the last gallon, you are yood for another 40 miles. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If memory serves me right my old 650 classic with windsheild and bags would run a good 250kms (155miles) before reserve. I am 6' and nearly 300lbs. My mom has that bike now and she gets a good 280kms (170miles) before reserve (shes ALOT lighter and a foot shorter LOL)

Hell my current 1100 Silverado averages 240km (149miles) before reserve with a best so far of 270kms before reserve. But it does have a 1L larger fuel tank than the 650cc bikes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, I just purchased a 2002 650 v star with windshield and bags .I weigh a tick over 200 lbs . My mileage is varying on the low side 57 mpg ,on the high side 62mpg , am I doing something wrong , it seems higher than what others are posting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my 2000 650 custom. What type of fuel should I use for it?

I just put 3 gallons of 87 in it. Is that good or should I bump up to the next one?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Jimmy -- you are not doing anything wrong. That's pretty decent mileage! One thing I thought of: all the speedometers are not the same. I ride with pretty much the same group all the time. When we make our fuel stops, usually around 130 miles, we all have recorded different miles ran. It varies by 7 or 8 miles from highest to lowest. That will obviously impact the mpg figures.

Popajim -- 87 is fine for your bike. Jumping up to 91 won't hurt anything, and any performance/mpg gains will be so slight that the extra couple bucks you spend on a fill-up will offset that anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2005 1100 Silverado hits the reserve at 120 miles. About 37-41MPG Riding hard on interstate & country roads, 20 mile trips to work, up to 80mph. Hypercharger, re-jetted & shimmed needles, Cobra 2 into 1 Pipe. Stock windshield & bags. 220 lb rider.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2008 Vstar 1100 Custom Big switchblade windshield, bags, Vance and Hines Classic 2 slipons. Only getting average 116 best ever miles was 145 before reserve and thats with drafting on a group ride

·
Registered
7 Posts
i wish i got the mileage of some of you guys, i average about 40-42, though i am a touch hard on it at times. but the 120 miles to a tank is my limit and i'm filling up, know i'm about to be turning to the reserve at that point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our Tanks are 4.2 gallons right? That includes the reserve, right?

So, wouldnt we get 160 Mpt if everyone is getting a min. of 40 mpg? The numbers arent adding up

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
miles per tank

I don't push it hard, 60-70, got 1100 v star classic, always get 50-

53 every tank, with the ol lady on. Every thing is stock, engine wise.

But I do look to fill up 150-185, different gas brands do make a

difference on mine, even though the same octane. The 60- 70 is max, usual 50-55, also use Lucas upper cyl lube and carb cleaner every tank, it ups mpg for me, I use it in my trk, everything. Buy it by the gal, much cheaper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts