Votes: 17 6.1%
  • IRON BUTT 1,000+

Votes: 20 7.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well I live in the northwest where the roads are twisty. My best is 425 half on hwy 101 and the other on I5. Hey SparkD that was a haul that day for you I figured 350+ for you but 470 wow.You want to break you record saturday. Going on a ride to Tillamook,Oregon. It's about 250 miles round trip from Longview so you could bust your record for over 500.

·
Registered
570 Posts
562 miles from Los Mochis to Guadalajara. It is not a fast road and it took 14 hourrs to complete it. That does no include looking for a motel for an hour. I was never so gald to see a motel in my life. The had room service from the bar, cable T.V. and food service from the restuarant next door. All for the price of $25 bucks. What a find.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So we just got back from a nice ride about 210 miles each way. It was my longest ride and a test ride for our long trip at the end of the month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Down to South Tyrol (northern italy), starting in munich, bavaria and then back on the same day. that trip was about 430 miles on small roads with an average speed of not more than 35 mph. I was sitting on the bike for more than 12 hours on that day, so I now what a numb butt feels like:eek:

regards from germany

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just saw this and thought I'd chime in. Though it took almost 25 hours, while riding to the World's Fair in Knoxville in 1982 I rode my '81 Yammy Virago from Santa Rosa, New Mexico to Nashville, TN, a distance of almost 1100 miles IIRC. Overall it was one ungodly ride, sometimes quite scary. I remember having vivid hallucinations on more than one occasion while riding at night in eastern OK and Arkansas. Once thought I'd run over an African lion and a couple cows. Finally pulled into a rest stop in eastern Arkansas for about an hour and a half, then continued to Nashville, with an obligatory stop in Bucksnort, TN for another T-Shirt and gas. Even at 26 you still still sometimes do some pretty dumb things.

·
Super Moderator
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Though it took almost 25 hours, while riding to the World's Fair in Knoxville in 1982 I rode my '81 Yammy Virago from Santa Rosa, New Mexico to Nashville, TN, a distance of almost 1100 miles IIRC. Overall it was one ungodly ride, sometimes quite scary. I remember having vivid hallucinations on more than one occasion while riding at night in eastern OK and Arkansas. Once thought I'd run over an African lion and a couple cows. Even at 26 you still still sometimes do some pretty dumb things.
as long as you hit over 1,000 miles within 24 hours, you obtained iron butt status. i know what you mean about hallucinations, kind of. last year, at 29, i almost hit iron butt status w/o intending to beforehand. my buddy and i were heading from Austin, TX to the Smokeys, and just wanted to make it to Alabama for the first day. we didn't have a set target or miles when we started. we left before 6AM. i hadn't slept since the night before (KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME) because of my work schedule and couldn't catch any winks before we headed out. i was downing 5 hour energies at every gas stop.

about 13 hours in, i began talking to myself. almost schizophrenic type stuff. just trying to keep my mind off the long journey, lack of sleep, and physical fatigue. the bike/road vibrations were really catching up to us since we kept the speedo over 90mph for at least 80% of the trip. i projected my mind to a different place and held conversations with myself to pass the time. at 15 hours in, we debated whether or not to keep going since we only realized at 700 miles that we were within range of making iron butt, but we were too cold, sleepy, and sore to do it safely so we stopped at 806 miles. we could have made it if we had planned on it beforehand, i had gotten sleep, and do it earlier in the year when it was warmer. it was below 60 degrees when we stopped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Made Vegas, From Colorado Springs in one day! Great when we started, we were going to stop but it was a DRY COUNTY!! So we made a now that I think about it not so good plan to go all the way

·
Registered
22 Posts
1442 in 25 hours on a Sportster... St. Louis to Salt Lake.Took a brief nap or two on the side of the road. Not something that I would really recommend. FWIW I was 24.

*Edit, actually had to go look at my waypoints in google maps and think about where I was, when.

·
Registered
28 Posts
840 miles, Indy to Hartford CT, 16.5 hours, did a little picture shooting along the way, on a stock seat. Stock seat won't see that trip again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
530 miles from Slidell, LA to Austin, TX. No kittens, orphans, or naplam attacks, however it was January. About 35 degrees and rained THE WHOLE WAY. It was so cold that even with winter gauntlets my hands were so numb that I couldn't turn the key in the gas cap at fuel stops. I had to 'pinch' the key between the heels of my hands to turn it.
The real kicker is that the day after, the weather broke and it was in the 60's and sunny. Only reason I was so set on getting back to Austin was that my girlfriend at the time was getting back from Christmas break on that day. *looks down* I guess we know what motivated me to be stupid at 19.

·
Registered
102 Posts
About 300 is my max at this point nice trip from Oklahoma to Missouri and down through Arkansas, was a good trip going to Red River New Mexico next month gonna try and make about 700 miles.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Averaged around 450m/day for about 2 months travelling around the south-west, south and west coast states during 2005. Every day included time being touristy so the miles were usually done in less than half a day.

Oh yeah, and I was on a 500 with stock seat..:eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey bevo, any way you can have the poll list the Iron Butt pple so we can laud them appropriately?

·
Registered
159 Posts
540 miles from Cleveland to Burlington NC. I will be making the return trip tomorrow or Tuesday.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts