• IRON BUTT 1,000+

Votes: 22 7.5%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
--

I've gone only around 700 miles on several occasions, but with my new tourer it is a lot easier to stay on the road. Plus, if I stayed on the slab the whole way, I could do some 1000 milers without too much trouble. The problem these days is that at 78 y.o., the body is not in top shape. Well, actually, in some ways I am pretty much in "top" shape (joke inserted there ?).

Several times in the past and this last summer on my 9,000 mile trip, I only went around 700 a couple of times, but it's not the mileage. It's the time spent on the bike. Once I was on the west side of Columbus, OH where due to poor directions, I ended up spending about 3 hours lost before I got totally out of the city limits, while only traveling maybe 50 miles. Or stuck in traffic on the north side of Denver for two hours and 10 miles on a summer 95° day.

I just make it a point to stop every hour to hour-and-a-half to stretch and rest my eyes for a couple of moments.

--

·
Registered
2 Posts
--

I've gone only around 700 miles on several occasions, but with my new tourer it is a lot easier to stay on the road. Plus, if I stayed on the slab the whole way, I could do some 1000 milers without too much trouble. The problem these days is that at 78 y.o., the body is not in top shape. Well, actually, in some ways I am pretty much in "top" shape (joke inserted there ?).

Several times in the past and this last summer on my 9,000 mile trip, I only went around 700 a couple of times, but it's not the mileage. It's the time spent on the bike. Once I was on the west side of Columbus, OH where due to poor directions, I ended up spending about 3 hours lost before I got totally out of the city limits, while only traveling maybe 50 miles. Or stuck in traffic on the north side of Denver for two hours and 10 miles on a summer 95° day.

I just make it a point to stop every hour to hour-and-a-half to stretch and rest my eyes for a couple of moments.

--
Hey Ron, When did you get your Eluder?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cape Cod to St Paul MN on a 78 xs 650 special. I never wrote down the mileage but it had to be around 1200. Left at 5 am and got home about midnight as I recall. That was a million years ago.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Since I waiting for tires to be installed on my wheels and I'm at my in-laws condo in KDH, NC. I decided to add up the longest one day trip of mine.
From my home to work in Norfolk, VA. Then after work rode to Front Royal, VA. The day's total was 268 miles. 200 of it was in the rain. Of the 200 in the rain, 160 of was at night AND the rain was pouring on me. Like you cannot see 15 yards ahead of you.
When I got to the hotel, the only parts of me that were dry were my torso, my arms from the shoulder to the elbows, and my head. The rest of me was SOAKED!
Looking back on it, I should have found an all night diner & chilled out until the rain passed. You'd think at 44 I'd have more smarts. (Yes, this was only 2 years ago.)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Since I waiting for tires to be installed on my wheels and I'm at my in-laws condo in KDH, NC. I decided to add up the longest one day trip of mine.
From my home to work in Norfolk, VA. Then after work rode to Front Royal, VA. The day's total was 268 miles. 200 of it was in the rain. Of the 200 in the rain, 160 of was at night AND the rain was pouring on me. Like you cannot see 15 yards ahead of you.
When I got to the hotel, the only parts of me that were dry were my torso, my arms from the shoulder to the elbows, and my head. The rest of me was SOAKED!
Looking back on it, I should have found an all night diner & chilled out until the rain passed. You'd think at 44 I'd have more smarts. (Yes, this was only 2 years ago.)
I will give you credit for 5oo miles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been there done that. I to the same conclusion. Why did I do that? However I am 71 and still not any smarter. I did start wearing Gore Tex which keeps me dry. But the wet plus wind sure lowers the real feel temp so must add layers or break down an buy electrics. Pulling in to wait for rain to pass sounds cheaper and safer. If only I remember that last sentence.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Been there done that. I to the same conclusion. Why did I do that? However I am 71 and still not any smarter. I did start wearing Gore Tex which keeps me dry. But the wet plus wind sure lowers the real feel temp so must add layers or break down an buy electrics. Pulling in to wait for rain to pass sounds cheaper and safer. If only I remember that last sentence.:rolleyes:
My rain pants got a hole burnt in them because of my exhaust pipes. So took them off. (was afraid of them creating a hole in my pants.) And forearms became soaked because it wicked up from my soaked gloves. As well as the wind blowing the rain up my sleeve.
The rain was that bad. I really should have stopped & waited.

BTW, I told the wife this story. She is not happy with me. (What else is new. )

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,681 Posts
I went thru many rain pants due to exhaust burns. Then bought Olympia Rain Pants that have a heat resistant material on the inside of legs. They have lasted for years.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts