Votes: 18 6.1%
  • IRON BUTT 1,000+

Votes: 22 7.5%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Les, I have a set of those. They work great. I tried Frogg Toggs which were good but after sever sets of wearing out and burning out, I plunged into motorcycle designed rain gear. Olympia makes some good stuff.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Longest day so far was right at 300 miles in the NC/TN mountains. Left out around 10 am and got back just before midnight. We did around 650 miles in 3 days. This was just last month for our anniversary. When we go out for weekend rides because it’s all on fairly curvy backroads we don’t get tons of miles but we rack up a lot of hours in the saddle considering our total average speed is less than 40 mph on most of the rides.

I imagine if we were doing interstate we could rack up a lot of miles in a day, we just haven’t really had anywhere we wanted to go yet where it’s just the two of us, no kids tagging along but it’s coming. Here’s to ya 2021!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Since I turned 60 ( I am older then that now) the longest I have ridden is about 500 miles in a day.
We do 300 miles regularly to the grandkids house.
I would like to try the Hoka Hey ride, it is on my bucket list, That is 10,000 miles in 12 days on a mapped route with check in points all the way.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well that sux, I have never seen that rule, Well I guess I have to remove that from the list.
If I can't ride my Stratoliner I am not doing it. Screw them.
They are being racist, we need to start a chapter of YMM, Yamaha Motorcycles Matter..........

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yea when you posted that I went there and looked at the rules, YMM..........
Yamaha Motorcycles Matter

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
590 Posts
Miles per day isn't very telling. On a Sunday with light traffic on roads with no speed limit, you can average 120 mph and ride 1200 miles within 10 hours with reasonable ease. Riding through the jungle, 12 miles can be all you manage in 10 hours, and you will be totally exhausted. My longest ride in one day was 850 km, or 528 miles. It incorporated two ferry rides, and the highest speed limit was 80 kph / 50 mph. We set off 8 AM and got home 1 AM, so 17 hours from start until stop, including breaks - it was not a race to cover as many miles as possible, it was just a round trip we wanted to do. That was way back in 1989.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
946 Posts
I did an Iron Butt Challenge on my way to Denver from Virginia to pick up my three youngest son to go on to Sturgis in Aug 2014. My actual total was 988 miles in 18 hours and 1,686 in 33 total hours. I missed the Iron Butt by 12 miles (1,000 miles within 24 hours) but gained the Butt Burner by going 1,500 miles within 36 hours.

Some may wonder why I missed the 1,000 when all I had left was 12 miles and lots of time; well, too much Dr. Pepper in St. Louis is why. I ate at a burger joint and had four large glasses of Dr. Pepper for a late supper. I made it almost across Kansas before the cramps became too bad to ride. Luckily for me God placed a roadside hotel there and I checked in for a little rest.

For anyone who wants to know more about the Iron Butt Association, check them out here: Iron Butt Association

They have many ways to get a patch for their many challenges. Most are on the honor system but a few challenges are rally like. I know several record holders, some in several categories. Good luck!

Reactions: matthewd92

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Just teasing you.
I think I've put maybe 350 miles on this year. (So I am totally jealous.)
2020 can go take a long walk off a short pier!

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just teasing you.
I think I've put maybe 350 miles on this year. (So I am totally jealous.)
2020 can go take a long walk off a short pier!

Ride smart! Ride often!

No offense was taken.

were you a Submariner? I started in the Navy on the USS Proteus ( AS 19) & the USS Sperry ( AS 12)

Ahh, yes, that is why I belong to The SSMC, I have visited both of those fine targets, oh, I mean tenders in my 20 years of service.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I just saw on another thread you were an EM , A gang or Nuke?
I was in 94 Alpha RADCON, started with FBM's then went to Fast Attacks

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just saw on another thread you were an EM , A gang or Nuke?
I was in 94 Alpha RADCON, started with FBM's then went to Fast Attacks

Nuke, there are no more Diesel boats hence no more non-nucs em’s on board submarines.

USS George Washington SS(B)N 598 (G)
USS Jack SSN 605
USS Topeka SSN 754 plankowner
USS Columbus SSN 762 plankowner

was also in R-10 on both the USS Fulton AS-11 and Submarine Support Facility New London.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have been aboard all the subs on the west coast that were in commission between 75 and 78, including the diesels to give them battery water.
Then I re enlisted to change to an AT, at 6'5" I hated sub hatches and rector tunnels, I hated initial entry surveys, I wanted more headroom, so I went to the flightdeck

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have been aboard all the subs on the west coast that were in commission between 75 and 78, including the diesels to give them battery water.
Then I re enlisted to change to an AT, at 6'5" I hated sub hatches and rector tunnels, I hated initial entry surveys, I wanted more headroom, so I went to the flightdeck
a bigger target (smiling) .

141 - 160 of 170 Posts