• IRON BUTT 1,000+

Votes: 22 7.5%

• Total voters
161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
946 Posts
@ecbaatz I was an AW for 21 years; I hope that SSMC didn't have any "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" riders. Kind of defeats the idea I think.
And those Diesel boats were a tad bit tougher to find and track. It is hard to hear a flashlight under water...

Reactions: Jspree and ecbaatz

·
Registered
269 Posts
@ecbaatz I was an AW for 21 years; I hope that SSMC didn't have any "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" riders. Kind of defeats the idea I think.
And those Diesel boats were a tad bit tougher to find and track. It is hard to hear a flashlight under water...
We have number of Harley riders, but also Honda, Yamaha, and Victory. No one really has loud pipes, but we do kid the Honda riders that the have to start their bikes first so they know it is running.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Reactions: Jspree

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Dreaming again are we?
When I switched over to aviation my last aircraft type was SH3H, we were in Autec running the range , we had a crew drop the ball after a mad run. they dropped right on the sail of the boat they were chasing and got it snagged and had to cut it away. It was pretty funny when they got the ball back , delivered in the back of a truck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I switched over to aviation my last aircraft type was SH3H, we were in Autec running the range , we had a crew drop the ball after a mad run. they dropped right on the sail of the boat they were chasing and got it snagged and had to cut it away. It was pretty funny when they got the ball back , delivered in the back of a truck.
I can imagine, they were sub sailors after all.

·
Registered
946 Posts
@ecbaatz I rode the Augusta before the "event", John Von Suskil was the skipper (such an appropriate name for a UBoat commander) Their BQQ-5 sonar was a new upgrade back then and easy to operate.

My squadron was significantly upset with me the day I rode the boat and sat in sonar. We still had S-3 Vikings in the Air Wing and they and my beloved H-3s were getting their torpedo quals on the range of St. Croix. I was able to impart some aircraft Tactics to the crew and they were able to avoid all attempts at a shot from my own guys. The boat's skipper stood behind me as I was describing what I was hearing and how it led to the next event. I loved the gear and that experience.

Back on the Eisenhower, some of my fellow crewmen were ready to choke me for being a traitor. I told them we are one team and they said not on torp qual flights!

I came back from my flight that afternoon fully qualled and told them they simply need to study a little more. On my flight, we got to simulated fish off with good reports. I mentioned to Von Suskil that I would take him down the day after I rode his boat. We bet a beer on it, he owes me a beer dang it...

We have strayed from the topic here, but how many miles have you done underwater?

·
Super Moderator
2,876 Posts
Been through a few thunderstorms that felt like I was underwater.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
We have number of Harley riders, but also Honda, Yamaha, and Victory. No one really has loud pipes, but we do kid the Honda riders that the have to start their bikes first so they know it is running.
Hey @ecbaatz if you think nobody has loud pipes, you haven’t heard Oscars TAB ZOMBIE pipes.
You could hear those things during a 105mm 21 gun salute!

161 - 170 of 170 Posts