Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about using this stuff in a bike. It says annual protection, and guaranteed for 20,000 miles. That would translate into quite a bit of time between oil changes, especially for a bike. Would you use this in your bike? Would it hurt anything to try? I just changed my oil, but thinking about it for the next time.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
user manual for a vstar requires you to change your oil every 4000 miles, and your filter every 8000 miles, no matter what kind of oil you use.

Mobile 1 may keep its properties for 20,000 miles without breaking down in a fuel injected water cooled car, with a highly efficient oil filter, but in an air cooled motorcycle with carburetors, the fuel dilution into the oil, the higher temperatures, the contamination for the wet clutch wearing... The engineers at Yamaha determined you need to change your oil every 4000 miles.

Use whatever kind you like, but the cheapest generic oil at walmart meets all of the yamaha requirements.

BTW, motorcycle oil does not have any additives for extended fuel mileage, lower wear - you have to make sure there are no extra lubracants in the oil or it will make your clutch slip. Oil labeled specifically for motorcycles does not have those additives, and its usually more expense (because of something that is NOT in there).

If you look at the round API seal (API service rating doughnut), you want the bottom half of the circle to be blank. Google this if you dont understand what Im saying.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I use Mobil 1 in my Sporty but then the clutch doesn't share oil with the motor. Either way I still wouldn't go beyond the scheduled oil change intervals as stated by the vehicle manufacturer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some research, and I'm with you guys. I will just keep on doing what I have been. KCW, I understood perfectly ha ha. No worries. Google should open their own college.

·
Super Moderator
13,116 Posts
first off, that 20K mile oil protection seems to only be offered to cars and trucks. their site only shows 2 options for motorcycle oil: v-twin and racing.
secondly, even they state in the fine print that they recommend the user still adhere to the vehicle's manufacturer recommended oil change intervals while under warranty.
lastly, that 20K/1yr oil is meant for mainly highway miles. your engine wears a lot less and uses oil more efficiently doing highway miles than city miles, or anything with regular stop/go activity.

user manual for a vstar requires you to change your oil every 4000 miles, and your filter every 8000 miles, no matter what kind of oil you use.
... The engineers at Yamaha determined you need to change your oil every 4000 miles.

true, but that 4,000 mile number is somewhat arbitrary itself. for liability and practicality reasons, they're not going to write out a bunch of stipulations for all the various different oils out there one can use in their vehicles. some oils should be changed at the 2,000 or 3,000 mile mark while others can protect your engine for well past 4,000 miles or 4 months. so their number, like most manufacturers, is most likely based on what's the average performance and availability of current oil in the market.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Mobile 1 may keep its properties for 20,000 miles without breaking down in a fuel injected water cooled car, with a highly efficient oil filter, but in an air cooled motorcycle with carburetors, the fuel dilution into the oil, the higher temperatures, the contamination for the wet clutch wearing... The engineers at Yamaha determined you need to change your oil every 4000 miles.

Use whatever kind you like, but the cheapest generic oil at walmart meets all of the yamaha requirements.

BTW, motorcycle oil does not have any additives for extended fuel mileage, lower wear - you have to make sure there are no extra lubracants in the oil or it will make your clutch slip. Oil labeled specifically for motorcycles does not have those additives, and its usually more expense (because of something that is NOT in there).

If you look at the round API seal (API service rating doughnut), you want the bottom half of the circle to be blank. Google this if you dont understand what Im saying.
Owner manuals are a fall back for a manufacture, if you really want to know how long your oil will be good for send off some samples to a lab like Blackstone, or one of the others and they will tell you if your oil is in need of changing and how many more miles you are likely to get out of the oil before it needs to be changed.

More oil is wasted because it is changed far before it needs to be, finally manufactures have gotten away from that old 3 month or 3,000 miles scam for changing the oil.

If you really want to provide the best protection for your motorcycle with a shared sump system than run a true full synthetic oil either a group IV PAO or a group V Ester.

Diesel engines are far harder on oil than gasoline engines yet 18 wheelers go much farther on oil changes than do cars, yes they have more oil in the system but they learned it was not necessary to do frequent oil changes and that saves them big money in maintenance costs every year.

I have no doubt I could go 8,000 to 10,000 miles between oil changes on my Star Venture using the Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil the lab reports come back so good.

Blackstone will tell you to try a couple of thousand miles farther each time until you reach the point where you are truly using up the additives that fight the acids that form from combustion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts