Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the mustang seat for long rides, but I like the look of my potato chip seat for in town and it is ok comfort wise on short rides. I am not a large person...5'8" and 185... i do not need the extra width of the mustang...can i take it somewhere to have it narrowed?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm considering changing to a potato chip to get a little lower (I'm super short). How would you describe the potato overall?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The potato chip is cool. Its a good asthetical addition that feels better than stock. It does sit lower, but i put a 2 1/4" drop on my bike too, which adds to the lower feel and look.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks for the info... I guess that the potato chip is my next mod. Just need to pay off all the other stuff first. And fix the car so hubby has wheels. *Sigh*

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It's pretty easy to do your own. All they do is take a stock seat and cut it down, then recover it in cheap vinyl. An electric knife, an angle grinder, a dremel and a stapler is all you need. Stock seats are going for about $40 and a piece of vinyl to to 2 or 3 seats is about $15.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I saw some info from another discussion about making your own potato chip seat.
I try to be handy, but have never done seats before. Could someone please do the V-Star's "Seat Mods For Dummies."?
I've been looking into this myself. Do the seats work for long haul trips? Gel inserts?

BacknSaddle

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
while anyone can cut a seat down, if you don't truly understand pressure points and how the specific architecture of the seat will affect you when riding, you could be cutting your seat down to a shape that will not be comfortable. if you cut it down to a potato chip style seat, i would advise at least putting in a gel insert because you'll probably find that cutting away all that support will mean you're cutting away your own comfort.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I potato chipped my stock seat and used minimal padding. LOVED the feel of sitting "in" the bike, BUT my eyes were vibrating! LOL.. So, I just finished plan B about an hour ago and cut down the stock padding and covered with new marine grade vinyl.
The stock padding is kind of a blend of high and low density. So, I kept the seat area thicker than the back. Initial feel is pretty nice!
I may tinker a little with my other stock seat as well.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts