Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Model Question

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  NorthernRider 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2000 Road Star. Is there a way to figure out exactly which model I have?

#3 ·
Congrats on your new ride. That model year has the 1602 long stroke engine (they changed to a 1700 in 2004) and I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there was only one model that year, with the exception of the optional Silverado trim package that added saddle bags and a windshield. They are known to be solid, powerful bikes with a reputation for running over 100,000 miles with regular maintenance. You picked a good one!

#6 · (Edited)
there was a factory recall on some of the early 1600 engines, some of them had bad lockrings installed on 3rd gear, it affected 20,000 units from 1999-2003 i think the 3rd & 4th combo gear assembly wasn't machined correctly and that is what causes the lockring to give out, more than a few came back to the dealership i was working at, around 2004 if i remember right. none came in that actually failed completely but some had transmission noise

#4 ·
Thank you for the accolades. I try to research before buying much of anything.

I did however miss something. Reading this forum, it seems that there are 2 recalls for this model year. I do not have the VIN in front of me. So I cannot say where my bike is affected or not. Fingers cross.

#12 ·
WHy is the bike in the shop?

If you bought it from the shop, dont ask them to look for the punch mark, check it yourself.

If you ask them to look for you, it will definitely be there when you pick up the bike.

#15 ·
Just an FYI...unlike the Vstars, the Roadstar only has one carb. If the punch mark isn't there, you can call Yamaha or have the dealer check to see if the recall work was done. If it wasn't done, I would recommend you not ignore it. Good luck!
Sorry ... My previous bike had 4 carbs and just got use to says carbs.

And duly noted on the rest of the info.

#18 ·
Tranny recall has been completed according to Yamaha. NHTSA says incomplete. Who do I believe?

Also ... have any of you heard/been thru this recall?
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: ON CERTAIN ROAD STAR MOTORCYCLES, IF THE BOLTS HOLDING THE EXHAUST SYSTEM ARE ALLOWED TO LOOSEN, THE BRACKET HOLDING THE MUFFLERS CAN BREAK.

FYI - here is YAMMY's recall page - https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

And mine is a regular Road Star w/ a 1602cc

#19 ·
I'd feel confident the tranny recall was done. I've never heard of the recall on the exhaust bracket bolts. I'd check them periodically since with a vtwin you have more vibration. You could pull the bolts and blue locksmith them. I've never found mine loose when I had the stock exhaust, but on both my roadstars the stock exhaust lasted about a month before switching to aftermarket exhausts. Good luck!

#21 ·
from Edmunds: "...While car recalls don't have an expiration date, they are only enforced for "reasonable periods," the agency says. Basically, a recall is over if a vehicle's manufacturer goes out of business, or if the parts needed to make the necessary repair are no longer being made...."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.