Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna do it and get one of these pre-owned Road Stars.

Lots of options in my area!

I'm looking at the VIN rundowns for recalls on local bikes.

Mileages ranging from >9K to 250k+

I'm looking at the 99-02 models, but there are lots of variables between models, seemingly...

XV1600ATN-R 38k
XV16ATN-R 9.5k
XV16AL-L 32k

These model numbers are from Yamaha Recall Info Inquiry.

I'm aware of the transmission recall and the oil pump gear situation.

Some ads are as misleading as could be, like an obvious 650 being sold as a Road Star at the Road Star price (haha)...
Everything seems to say its a Silverado Edition...

Can I get some opinions or anecdotes that might help me make a decision, or an explanation of the real differences between these models?

Thanks in advance!
Hope everyone is having a good morning!

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
something else to include in your search

Im not entirely clear on this, but I think the Road Liner and Stratoliner use the same engine as the Road Star

they are both higher end bikes.... but I would include them in your search, you never know what some nephew is selling in an estate sale for his beloved late uncle...

also people spell yamaha wrong, put Vstar or V star and run RoadStar together... keep your search parameters as generic as possible

and sometimes bikes are listed in the motorcycle parts and accessories section by mistake

·
2,742 Posts
When I was researching Road Stars I decided on a 1700 model (04 and up). From what I read, they are all solid dependable bikes, but the 1700 engine was just a little more refined and there were some small suspension upgrades. I read later that the 04 may have some charging issues that were resolved the next year but I don't have any details on that. I think in 07 or 08 they went FI but that didn't matter to me at the time.

While I didn't end up with a Road Star, I did get the high torque long stroke engine I wanted and it is so much better on the highway. I love twisting the throttle at 70 and feel it stretch my arms and pass with as little effort as my 1100 did at 40 or 50. It's FI too, and I've found that I like that. Nice consistent starting and quick throttle response.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I thought I was missing something

still, if you are looking for a road star and happen across a good deal on a Road Liner or Strat - I would take that deal anyday

·
2,742 Posts
I'd love to have a Strat. There's only one listed near me. An 06 with 65,000 km (about 40,000 m). Looks like a nice bike.

Asking price - $7499. o_O

But that includes a jack :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
385 Posts
I'm going to go do a CL search right now...

Meanwhile, my advice for searching CL is this - don't go to the motorcycles for sale section. Do your search on the CL main page for your area. Box in upper left hand corner. That will turn up things that are miscategorized anywhere, plus things that are in barter, general, etc. You never know what crazy listing may pop up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There’s a Stratoliner like new at a dealer near me that they have had at least a year. It’s a 2015 and they have it tagged for $7500 with under 1000 miles. I’m getting it soon, unless you find it. 1900cc and blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
There’s a Stratoliner like new at a dealer near me that they have had at least a year. It’s a 2015 and they have it tagged for $7500 with under 1000 miles. I’m getting it soon, unless you find it. 1900cc and blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought an 04 Road Star brand new, put 50K miles on it and found I was doing a lot of touring. So I traded it in on an 08 Venture. It was great for touring but was real top-heavy causing every stop light and parking lot to be an adventure. I traded that in on a Strat, tons of power but ate rear tires. Plus the bullet shaped lights and retro looks never really grew on me.

So I’ve gone back to my roots, just bought an 08 Road Star S with 7K miles. I just LOVE it but I had to go thru the exercise to be convinced it’s the best bike for me.

BF

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
^Rfrankish

that may be the best first post to the forum ever!

welcome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts