Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Just got my mono shock replaced and was wondering what other riders are using regarding air pressure.
almost all the time I ride alone and I weigh 200 lbs. If I were to have a passenger, probably another 150 lbs. I just bought this bike knowing the mono shock was shot but again, this bike is new to me. Thanks in advance. Jerry

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
16 Posts
Hi Jerry...Great looking scooter.
I just replaced the rear shock on my Toy (2000 RSV), not because of any oil or air leaks, but just because it was 21 years old and getting a bit tired. I put in a rebuilt OEM shock. The following applies if you have an OEM-style Air adjustable shock. There are shocks on the market that aren't.
I weigh about the same as you....a buck 90.. and ride solo about half the time. When my wife is along or we're pulling our trailer, I run 45-48 psi in the shock. I've read where guys run anything from 15 -50 psi. Lighter riders wouldn't seem to need a lot of air, but everyone has their own preferences for the way the bike "feels". I'm not 100% sure, but I believe 50 psi would be the max you'd want to run so as not to blow out seals.
You may have already researched the front forks, but if not they don't take much pressure...7 psi max...again due to the seals. Some guys run no air, some just a couple of pounds....once more personal preference. Buy yourself a little hand pump with a gauge to pump the shock and forks. A little pencil air gauge isn't really accurate way down low and your typical gas station air line at 120 psi will blow seals in a heartbeat.
You mention that the bike is new to you. You might consider changing out the Fork Oil at some point. Even though the Yamaha Service Manual says the Fork Oil doesn't require changing, do it. It's not really difficult (the hardest part is refilling the forks with fresh oil), just messy and time consuming. It will also give you a chance to check the oil and dust seals for leaks. There will be other guys here with advice on a method and there's always The Book Of Knowledge...You Tube.

Hope you enjoy the RSV...it's a comfy and surprisingly fast ride given that it weighs as much as....well let's just say it moves the numbers on a scale to the far end.

Cheers...
Papa Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jerry...Great looking scooter.
I just replaced the rear shock on my Toy (2000 RSV), not because of any oil or air leaks, but just because it was 21 years old and getting a bit tired. I put in a rebuilt OEM shock. The following applies if you have an OEM-style Air adjustable shock. There are shocks on the market that aren't.
I weigh about the same as you....a buck 90.. and ride solo about half the time. When my wife is along or we're pulling our trailer, I run 45-48 psi in the shock. I've read where guys run anything from 15 -50 psi. Lighter riders wouldn't seem to need a lot of air, but everyone has their own preferences for the way the bike "feels". I'm not 100% sure, but I believe 50 psi would be the max you'd want to run so as not to blow out seals.
You may have already researched the front forks, but if not they don't take much pressure...7 psi max...again due to the seals. Some guys run no air, some just a couple of pounds....once more personal preference. Buy yourself a little hand pump with a gauge to pump the shock and forks. A little pencil air gauge isn't really accurate way down low and your typical gas station air line at 120 psi will blow seals in a heartbeat.
You mention that the bike is new to you. You might consider changing out the Fork Oil at some point. Even though the Yamaha Service Manual says the Fork Oil doesn't require changing, do it. It's not really difficult (the hardest part is refilling the forks with fresh oil), just messy and time consuming. It will also give you a chance to check the oil and dust seals for leaks. There will be other guys here with advice on a method and there's always The Book Of Knowledge...You Tube.

Hope you enjoy the RSV...it's a comfy and surprisingly fast ride given that it weighs as much as....well let's just say it moves the numbers on a scale to the far end.

Cheers...
Papa Fred
Thanks so much Fred, I appreciate the info and input..... not a bad looking scooter you have yourself either. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts