Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 VStar 1300 with cobra exhaust and a pro series hyper charger. I still don't have all that I want power wise. Am I gonna have to go to a bigger bike or is there something else that I can do to get more juice out of my current bike? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a 2007 VStar 1300 with cobra exhaust and a pro series hyper charger. I still don't have all that I want power wise. Am I gonna have to go to a bigger bike or is there something else that I can do to get more juice out of my current bike? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!
1. Take the air filter cover off and drill 6 - 5/8's holes in the back of the air box. By the back of the air box I mean the side facing the ENGINE. This will let your air starved engine breathe. In fact the effect will be far greater then what you did with your exhaust.

2. With the air filter cover off (this is what I did)
Again, the back of the air box means the flat side facing the engine, no one will even notice what you have done. Its hidden by the engine.
First the left side (facing the engine) I drilled 1 hole in the mid upper area, then another slightly below that and another at the very bottom of the air box under the "ridge".
On the right side I drilled a hole near the very top of the box, one mid section and one almost at the bottom above the ridge.

Again, all holes are facing the engine. You can also drill more holes if you wish, I would start with 6.

This WILL wake up your bike but its not going to take the place of a 1700 cc bike.

3. Skeptical ??? I was too, so do this and takes five minutes and no drilling! Take the cover off the air box, DUCT TAPE the filter in place, then go take a 50 mile ride with the air cover off.
Chances are you will be like WOW, if not, put the cover back on and no harm done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have plenty of airflow with the hyper charger... I am just curious if there is anything else I can do.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, you haven't mentioned a fuel manager yet. How much power do you want? Upgrades aren't going to do you any good if you want to keep up with an FJR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I don't have a fuel manager.... I have heard different things. Is that going to make a difference on power though is my main question.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Your biggest bang for the buck on this bike comes from the intake. You'll essentially top out at 90HP (if you're lucky) with intake, pipes, and tune. From there, you'd have to pump the air in.

I would guess that if you're starving for power at this point, though, you may be riding a bike that is wrong for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong I love the bike and it will get up and go when it's needed. I just want a little bit more. How much difference will the fuel manager make? Just want to know if it's worth it. If so what is the best programmer for these bikes?

·
Registered
894 Posts
If I was rounding out your setup, I'd put in a Cobra PowerPro Tuner (CVT model).

·
Banned
137 Posts
Not sure if this really works but some have changed the drive sprocket with the Stryker and said it has a better power sweet spot. I found this information on the 1300 tourer site. Jim MN

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
My mindset for this type of thing always veers to 'there aint no replacement, for displacement'. But, the upgrade goodies boils down to love for your bike, the 'hobby-ness' of upgrading. But financially and cost vs gains, no bueno.

Plus moving up, you can take advantage of getting something newer. Fuel injection, a whole bike with less miles, new wires, newer hoses, newer clutch cable, you know all that maintenance stuff you sorta get to press the reset button. Less rust, less damage, less leaks, less scrapes and dents, etc, etc.

Or none, if you went brand new :D. The difference in overall shape and features of my 06 650 to my 09 950T are day and night. 3 years, and only 3k miles difference. Both bought used of course.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Get a bigger bike you will be far ahead of the game if you do. I hate to say It and I'm sure this isn't a popular thing to say but star bikes are underpowered. Reliable as a Swiss watch but not the most performance oriented cruisers on the market.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
V Max...... anything else is just a toy. lol.

Displacement is never the answer either. My "little" 600CC ZX6R can do 85 in 1st gear.....and a sub 11 second 1/4 mile bone stock. There's some cheap power if you want it. The secret is finding what you enjoy riding, every style of bike has a good an bad side. If you want power, you can't beat a V Max..... good used ones come up for sale all the time.

Cruisers are just that.....most are pretty low performance, low horsepower for the given CC (especially V twins compared to sport bikes) and meant to putt along the freeway at 3000 - 3500 RPM and not do much more other than to keep your butt comfy. Maybe you might need to look at alternative styles of bikes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts