Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 1100 classic. It seems in colder weather (Florida winter 30-40's) that if the bike sits for more then a day it has a hard time starting and warming up. Warming up, doesn't matter, 5, 10, 20 min, as soon as you try to ride off it dies like its still cold. You have to keep twisting the throttle (like it wants to stall) and semi ride the clutch to get going. Just on the initial takeoff. Then its fine. No problems after that. Its only doing it in colder weather. During the summer it was fine. Fire and go so to say. I just don't understand it. I hope I explained it well enough.
Any thoughts or ideas what to look at? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not a big fan of sea foam on a regular basis, but it can help clean some gunk out of the jets. Only use as per directions. That is where I would start as it sounds like the pilots may be a bit clogged? That's the cheapest thing to do before you start digging in. Also check the fittings for the intake system. If one spot is not snug, it could cause problems too. These things may not fix it, but it is a start for the elimination process.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
960 Posts
Id offer help, but its 4 degrees here and my fingers are frozen together. Florida and cold pfffft! LOL

ok, ok
You arent riding with the choke on, are you? The choke should be used to get the bike started, then closed as soon as it can be. Is this all the same tank of fuel?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@rmccutchan: Im not a big sea foam fan either. But may give it a try to start. Just weird that it only happens if it sits more then a day. Overnight, it does fine. 5 minutes and it is good to go. But thanks for the tip. I'll start there.

@ Critter: Yes I do. Full choke when starting. After about 15 sec, I slowly back the choke off to 50% and let it warm up there.

@ Ken: I lived in Lincoln Park for 7 years. Thats why I said Florida winter lol. I know your cold.... I was up there last week. Couldnt wait to leave. Thats just way to cold. NO no, NEVER ride with any choke on. No its several (3-4) tanks of fuel.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? Sounds to me like the bowls of your carbs may be emptying or starving of fuel after it sits for a while. Another thing, is your gas cap venting properly? Check the screws for tightness; could be causing a vapor lock for a while.

My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? Sounds to me like the bowls of your carbs may be emptying or starving of fuel after it sits for a while. Another thing, is your gas cap venting properly? Check the screws for tightness; could be causing a vapor lock for a while.

My 2 cents worth.
Thanks Corsair, I'll look at those. I don't think I have (that I can remember) changed the filter. I checked the cap about 6 months ago. Screws were solid. I'll check that again too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add also. If its warming up on the kickstand and then I sit on it and move it upright it wants to (and does most times) stalls.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
That sounds like a stuck float. I know that I said that it seemed like a starvation issue but now I'm leaning towards the floats. When you start it on the choke, the engine revs a bit faster and takes in fuel faster. When you stand the bike up, are you still on the choke? If not then that could be one of or the problem. The engine is not reving as fast and is not burning fuel fast enough and stalls the engine. I think that a good cleaning is in order as rmccutchan said.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate all the input guys, thank you.

I off tomorrow (Wednesday) and plan on looking into it. Got some SeaFoam today, so Im going to start there. Also, going to double check the Intake hoses, and the fuel filter and go from there.

Its just the strangest thing. It ran fine all summer. However, it never sat more then 2 days without being ridden. Start and go, no choke, not even 2 minutes to warm up. Just start, hop on and go. Then starting last month, its had to sit a couple days (longest 5 days) here and there, and all this happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds like a stuck float. I know that I said that it seemed like a starvation issue but now I'm leaning towards the floats. When you start it on the choke, the engine revs a bit faster and takes in fuel faster. When you stand the bike up, are you still on the choke? If not then that could be one of or the problem. The engine is not reving as fast and is not burning fuel fast enough and stalls the engine. I think that a good cleaning is in order as rmccutchan said.
When I choke start it, its low idle it seems. I know what your saying about the idle picking up, but it doesn't seem to. Should I leave it full choke till it raises? I generally will only have full choke for a few (7 - 15 sec) after starting it and then lower it to 1/2 choke till I am ready to take off, then I turn the choke completely off.
It does it with the choke on or off when I stand it up. Then (always choke off) when I take the initial take off, is when it wants to sputter and bog down. I have to keep twisting the throttle till it doesn't bog and stall. After that first initial takeoff, it runs, idles, stops and idles fine.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Could you look at the exhaust the next time you start it? Look for blackish smoke coming out. That is a good indicator that its running way to rich and flooding occurs. I assume that you're going to remove the tank to inspect the intakes. Dismantle the air box and have a look inside. Also, how old is the air filter? Was your bike expose to rain? Maybe there's water in the tank; you may want to drain the carbs and have a look at the fuel that comes out. I know it's a lot but heck, your off tomorrow and what else are you going to do :D.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I know it's a lot but heck, your off tomorrow and what else are you going to do :D.
Excuse me Corsair but he was gonna change the oil on my Roadstar tomorrow! :mad: Whatcha thinking having him do all that, he'll never get to my bike?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
However, it never sat more then 2 days without being ridden. not even 2 minutes to warm up. Just start, hop on and go. Then starting last month, its had to sit a couple days (longest 5 days) here and there, and all this happens.
Well, see, it finally come out what the problem is. You did not ride her often enough:( and now the ol girl is in the retaliate mode:( Seems they know how to do that really well:rolleyes: Take care of it, all will be well:D

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Excuse me Corsair but he was gonna change the oil on my Roadstar tomorrow! :mad: Whatcha thinking having him do all that, he'll never get to my bike?
Now now Annie, lets not start an oil war here :D. Next youll be saying how good the Gulf 60W oil and only that one should be used...... :D :D :D.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I knew I was forgetting something..... Annie's oil change lol.

The air filter is only a couple months old. As for smoke, there is none when I start it.

I think Sugar Bear is on to something. I just need to bundle up more and keep riding!!! Good call!!!

Well, I was only able to get as far as running the sea foam through it Tuesday night. I had put some in, ran the bike for a bit. Then rode and filled it up and added some more sea foam. Went for another ride. I noticed a big difference in throttle response and just overall riding. Went out Wednesday morning and fired right up (no choke) and seemed to have a smoother idle.
I don't know how old the fuel filter is, as the bike is just a year old to me. But I also am going to change it this weekend just as a precaution. I ment to do it when I bought the bike and sadly forgot all about it till now.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Just to add also. If its warming up on the kickstand and then I sit on it and move it upright it wants to (and does most times) stalls.
To be straight faced and sirus(whoops, I mean serious this time)
I wonder if maybe you might need to check your kickstand kill switch? Do you kick it up when you move upright or not? Don't matter if it sticks a bit:(
Just a tidbit, could be, might be thing, been there.
Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be straight faced and sirus(whoops, I mean serious this time)
I wonder if maybe you might need to check your kickstand kill switch? Do you kick it up when you move upright or not? Don't matter if it sticks a bit:(
Just a tidbit, could be, might be thing, been there.
Good luck!
Its not a kill shutoff. Its more a bog and sputter shutoff. I'm leaning torwards it just needs a cleaning. It seems with the Sea Foam to be running smoother. Also the bog is gone. It has sat all day Thursday and today. Im going to start it tonight and see if its improved still.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back to the drawing board..... Annies oil change is going to have to wait even longer now :(

Still the same thing after sitting more then a day. Time to dig deeper. Fuel filter, intake connections.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts