·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
AP news has the original story the Boston news website cut and pasted

and AP news does not try to load 29 ads on your page, and demand that you turn off your ad blocker so they will all load

AP link: https://www.apnews.com/e3f7283d0a0540c08da1e003458454e8

there is no word on the cause of the accident, or whether the guys were riding solo, or had their wives with them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It was a Marine motorcycle group on their way to some get together. Current and former Marines. It looks like all cruisers and touring machines so not a bunch of speed demons.

I'd really like to know the cause. This is a lot of people. The truck driver lived.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
truck was pulling a very big trailer

cant tell if anything was on it

I have see accidents where the load on the trailer shifted back, lifting the rear wheels of the truck or car off the ground

that causes the tow vehicle to do S curves and a complete loss of directional control

when a rig 80 feet long comes across the centerline you have no where to go

·
Registered
85 Posts
If a person lives long enough, they'll experience things that are too big to wrap their heads around. 9/11, the Challenger explosion, Kennedy being shot (both of them, for those of us old enough to remember) and so forth.

THIS is one of those times.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
^ putting things in perspective might help

every day in the US, 110 people are killed in vehicle accidents, about 400 are seriously injured
about the same number of people are killed and injured thru acts of violence
and about 7000 people die everyday

when we focus on one accident or event, it seems hard to grasp or understand
but even an event like the WTC attack, with 3000 people murdered, is only a bump in the normal levels that happen everyday

humans have accomplished incredible things working together as a species
but we still have a lot of room for improvement

the 110 daily traffic accidents for example: if 110 people were dying everyday in commercial jet accidents, then flights would be grounded till we fixed the problem, but somehow we accept that level of destruction when it happens in motor vehicles

and if we took drastic steps to reduce it, for example: requiring that all vehicles have GPS and cruise control, and all vehicles on the highway go exactly the same speed (the speed limit), then people would scream bloody hell.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
news update: monday 1:30PM Eastern

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The driver of a truck in a fiery collision on a rural New Hampshire highway that killed seven motorcyclists was charged Monday with seven counts of negligent homicide.

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, was arrested Monday morning at his home in West Springfield, Massachusetts, on a fugitive-from-justice charge related to Friday's crash, the New Hampshire attorney general's office said.

He was expected to make a court appearance on the charge Monday afternoon in Springfield.

A man who answered the phone at the home of Zhukovskyy's family and would identify himself only as his brother-in-law said Monday that the family is in shock and feeling the same pain as everyone else but couldn't say whether the driver was right or wrong.

Since the accident, the brother-in-law, said Zhukovskyy had remained in his room, hadn't eaten and talked to no one.

Zhukovskyy's pickup truck towing a flatbed trailer collided with a group of 10 motorcycles Friday on a two-lane highway in the northern New Hampshire community of Randolph, investigators said.

The victims were members or supporters of the Marine JarHeads, a New England motorcycle club that includes Marines and their spouses, and ranged in age from 42 to 62.

The circumstances of the wreck have been mysterious.

George Loring, a JarHeads member who lives in Hingham, Massachusetts, and was a few hundred yards from the crash, said Zhukovskyy has "got to live with it for the rest of his life."

"Everyone's suffering so much. I guess it's going to help a little bit, knowing, but I feel sorry for the guy who did it," Loring said. "It's so sad for the brothers and sisters who died. You can be angry at him, you can be whatever. I don't know. I'm glad he's been arrested."

Authorities identified the dead as Michael Ferazzi, 62, of Contoocook, New Hampshire; Albert Mazza Jr., 59, of Lee, New Hampshire; Desma Oakes, 42, of Concord, New Hampshire; Aaron Perry, 45, of Farmington, New Hampshire; Daniel Pereira, 58, of Riverside, Rhode Island; and Jo-Ann and Edward Corr, both 58, of Lakeville, Massachusetts

more info and photos of the lost riders:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7171581/Bikers-military-vets-mourn-7-killed-rural-highway-crash.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it would be nice if someone somewhere a lot more artful than myself (who isn't at all) could come up with a nice, high quality, and most of all respectful patch commemorating these seven fellow bikers. I'd wear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts