Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here goes I put a new starter on new battery in I wrote it on New Year's Eve it was warm then a week later I went to start it SSM the battery was dead so I charge battery and it just seemed that the starter would whine and not turn over the motor so I took the left side crankcase cover off and I checked the starter clutch and it locks and One Direction and spends on the other so I got everything back together put the new starter on put the new battery in and it's doing the same thing sounds like the starter is just spinning if I open the cap on the top I can see the gear turn on the back of the flywheel the bike will not turn over

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Okay here goes I put a new starter on new battery in I wrote it on New Year's Eve it was warm then a week later I went to start it SSM the battery was dead so I charge battery and it just seemed that the starter would whine and not turn over the motor so I took the left side crankcase cover off and I checked the starter clutch and it locks and One Direction and spends on the other so I got everything back together put the new starter on put the new battery in and it's doing the same thing sounds like the starter is just spinning if I open the cap on the top I can see the gear turn on the back of the flywheel the bike will not turn over
mine would do that in cold temps the oil is thick and hangs up the rollers in the starter clutch, i had to point a heat gun into the oil fill hole for a min to start it, otherwise the starter would just spin, it happened in temps under 40 F

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sure sounds like the starter clutch to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree it sounds like a starter clutch to me as well but everything that I've read in the book says that if it turns One Way freely and engages the other then it's good and mine does that engages one way and it spins freely the other I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and take it to the shop just for peace of mind I am beyond baffled

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Guys, I was out riding last Sunday, coldish day but no problems parked up for three days and the bike wouldn't turn over.
The starter would just spin so I thought charge the battery and use my booster pack. Same result no engagement by the starter. Placed in 4th gear rocked back n fourth, lightly tapping drive end of casing whilst bumping the starter... nothing.
Q. Does the starter clutch just stop or does it fail gradually snd what else can i try please?
Tiff

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
When my starter clutch went out I had driven to store with no previous issue. Came out to start bike, starter would just spin. Might be different with others but that was my experience.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
by any chance do you have 20W50 oil in your bike?

for cold weather you want 10W40 or 10W30. The oil really does get like glue when its below its rated temp range.

Dont look at oil weights vs temp on the internet, look in your owners manual. If you dont have one for your bike you can download it for free from the Yamaha motorsports website.

If your oil is ok for the cold, then the starter clutch is the thing that engages the flywheel. If its not spinning the engine but the starter motor is spinning, the clutch is not working, no matter how it acts when you turn it by hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep 20w-50 I live in Arizona and it was the only real cold spell all year. 80f today so just going to check if by any chance it will turn over. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Some cars still use 80W90 lube in manual transmissions (my toyota for one)

when the temp gets down below 0F, first few miles out of the driveway the shift lever feels like the case is full of peanut butter

put some 20W50 in a shot glass and put it in your freezer for an hour, then try to pour it out.. thats whats in your engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts