Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start bike wouldn't turn over. all it does is a clicking noise like a solenoid. pulled the cover off to see if it was engaging and it is. checked fuses-all good. if I go from the battery to the starter it will turn over and start. any idea's on what to check next.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tried to start bike wouldn't turn over. all it does is a clicking noise like a solenoid. pulled the cover off to see if it was engaging and it is. checked fuses-all good. if I go from the battery to the starter it will turn over and start. any idea's on what to check next.
I know you said from battery to starter it is a go but from what you explain it sound like battery issue. Once you turn key it turns everything on which pulls a draw and does not have enough to turn starter

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
follow the starter wire to the starter solenoid you'll see one post with the battery cable and the other the starter wire , if you jump it there and it cranks then the solenoid is bad, tap on that solenoid while holding the starter button in, if tries to crank intermittently, bad solenoid

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you haven't already, make sure the battery terminals are tight. These bikes are notorious for the battery terminals getting loose over time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the battery is brand new. I will trace the battery cable to solenoid and try that.
thanks guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pauli-Tapped on the solenoid and it starts everytime. Do ya'll think it was just stuck. The bike had been sitting up for about 7 months. Not sure if I should just change it anyway.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
if it fails to start again you can just jump the solenoid to get home then order a new one and just keep jumping it till you can install the new one, for now i'd take a wait and see approach to see what happens, at least you now know it wont strand you if it does crap out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts