Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you do not like or use mobile electronic devices when you ride. And that's your choice. But a lot of us do. I have a Uclear Bluetooth unit that works great. I use it to stream music, GPS and intercom with wife when she rides with me. For navigation I use Google Maps and Waze about 50/50. For music I use Pi Music player, Pandora and Iheart radio. SpeakerBoost is a great program for increasing sound with great bass and treble. For weather I use WeatherBug. A good speedometer app is Ulysse Speedometer. One great app I use everytime I ride is Cadar. It's an app that uses your phones sensors to dedect a fall and sends a text to your emergency contacts with GPS location.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=actionxl.mandown&hl=en_US&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dcradar+app&pcampaignid=APPU_1_SGriWrXLAen4jwSU2a64Dw&ved=0ahUKEwi1j-aRldnaAhVp_IMKHZSsC_cQ5YQBCCUwAA&usg=AOvVaw2XznKcXsXNWXQSSCzBv2WM

Does anyone else use apps when you ride? If so, which ones. What are the pros and cons of the apps you use.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I have a cell phone holder on my handlebar, and though I hardly ever use it while riding I do have:

GPS STATUS: ap that displays all the GPS and sensor info from the phone: speed, heading, pitch & roll, position, altitude, acceleration, Air temp pressure and humidity, and dewpoint

BTW: pitch & roll readout could be used to statically measure how far the bike will lean before the pegs hit.

also use google maps if I get lost or hit a detour (requires G4 connection)

and I could run the camera ap and record video if I was so inclined

but 99% of the time the phone is in my pocket, and the bands on the phone holder are flapping in the wind.

That CADAR ap (Crashed and Down and Rescue?) sounds like it would work if the phone was in your pocket... maybe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I'm going on a longer trip I sometimes do. I also have a set of Uclear headsets and use its app to set up the headsets up if needed. And for the rest I use these on a waterproof Android phone (Kyocera Duraforce XD):

_________
ALK CoPilot USA (older version #9.6.4.144): Offline mapping and navigation. I use the older version because anything newer loses a feature of showing both a large, easy to see at a glance, arrow for the next turn in one half + the map on the other half. Pros are that it's mostly offline - with the exception that it does require a data connection if you sign up for it's Traffic subscription. Cons are that it costs a few bucks, and you have to download maps - which takes a while and occupies a couple of GB of memory for all of the North America maps.

Animated Weather Map: A real-time weather map with radar, and includes an option to view traffic overlay as well. Pros are it's very accurate. Cons are that it's a bit difficult to set up and requires a data connection.

Glympse: Lets family know where I am. Only con is that it requires a data connection.

PowerAmp Pro: MP3 player with equalizer.

SoundAbout Pro: Allows me to route audio from any app (i.e. navigation voice prompts) to use the higher priority Bluetooth channel so that I hear navigation voice prompts through the headset even if using the intercom. Pros are that it's very flexible. The con is that this one is by far the most difficult to get set up properly, but once it is, it works well.

FoBo Bike: TPMS system

Ulysse Speedometer Pro: Speedometer App

SmartLauncher Pro: Launcher app to configure main home screen to only have the key apps in larger buttons.

And thanks for the info. on the Cadar app - didn't know apps like that were out there so I'll look into adding that as well.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My favorite apps to use when I'm out touring on my motorcycle is Zmodo to monitor my home surveillance cameras which alerts me to any motion that may indicate that a dirtbag/meth-head is too close to my castle and may attempt entry and Slack to keep track of any production issues that arise at work so that I can troll/harass my co-workers who are on call.

For navigation I use maps and memory and for music I have decades worth of music in my head that I can play back at will... a crap-ton more than can ever fit on a mobile device... even at my age.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Reading this thread reminded me that it was 20 years ago next month that I took a 1 week vacation and went on a fishing trip with a couple of my brother-in-laws. I brought the first cell phone I had with me, an analog phone about the size of a big remote control for a TV... just incase someone needed to reach me.

In the middle of the week, out in the middle of the lake in the morning, my office called. They needed to know where a drawing was. It was surreal, to be on the phone on a boat in the lake talking to my co-workers 100 miles away as if I was in the next cubical. The world got a lot smaller that day.

The only electronics we had on the boat was a depth sounder / fish finder that would draw a little crude graph of the bottom of the lake, and show little dots that were above the bottom, that might be fish. GPS was expensive back then, I didnt know anyone who had one. There were no ipods, no tablet computers, laptops were very expensive. Most computers still used dial up for internet connection, there were no weather radar websites, netflix, skype... and a 1 Meg file took about an hour to download.

Now our lives are very different. Now if you go 100 miles away from the city and you cannot get a cell phone signal, THAT seems surreal.

But one thing has not changed. I would be very happy to find a 1999 Roadstar (which was the 1st year they were made, in late 1998) for a reasonable price with low mileage, and I would be happy to ride it for the next 20 years.

I dont want to derail this thread and turn it into a discussion about how much technology has changed in the last 20 years, but this has changed my mind about one thing: since I hardly ever use it, I think I will take the phone holder off my handlebar, and put it in the trunk on my bike..... just because.

I liked 1998.
I liked 1968.
I like to ride my bike and think about my father riding his BMW R3 in Germany in 1946,
and my grandfather riding his Harley Davidson in 1926.
There is a connection there that does not change across the years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just downloaded a app called calimoto. I have not had a chance to use it yet but it sets up random rides and uses the best roads for bikes with most curves ect. It also tracks speed and lean angles as well as other things... I will review it after I get a chance to use it. Check it out at the play store ,,,

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a new app to increase volume on phone. It's called SpeakerBoost. Most of the volume increasing apps distorted the sound too much. This one works great. With my Bluetooth going I was having difficulties hearing the wife at speed above 70 on the intercom. SpeakerBoost increases the volume enough that we don't had to yell or slow the bike down to decrease wind noise and exhaust tone. Anyone else use a volumn increasing app?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You need my wife then, she is distored cause she yells into her phone.

Normally I only ever use my phone for music, upgrade over the 90's when I used a portable mp3 player.
KCW, you need to load gmaps offline maps, it handles a good 100 to 200 miles around the point you select, multiple areas if you want. I keep it on my phone, too many places with no coverage.

There are also many openstreetmap based programs that you can download offline maps for.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I sometimes carry a cellphone when riding, just in case I ever break down/run into trouble, but that's it for technology for this guy. I go out on my bikes to get away from all that nonsense... not to bring it along with me.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Found a new app to increase volume on phone. It's called SpeakerBoost. Most of the volume increasing apps distorted the sound too much. This one works great. With my Bluetooth going I was having difficulties hearing the wife at speed above 70 on the intercom. SpeakerBoost increases the volume enough that we don't had to yell or slow the bike down to decrease wind noise and exhaust tone. Anyone else use a volumn increasing app?
Don’t need it on the SVTC Les. The Harmon Kardon stereo system is PLENTY loud enough!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts