Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Texas, May is Motorcycle Awareness Month. Texas Department of Transportation does a pretty good job promoting Motorcycle Awareness thru billboards, radio and TV. Here's a few of their ads. Does your state do anything similar?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good thread. I'd like to see this spread amongst the other forums that some of us inhabit.

It makes me wonder about the death-rate here in Washington state.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, and no, Washington doesn't do anything like this that I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
85 Posts
California, Florida and Texas seem to be extremely high. I wonder if anyone has done research into what are the most common fatal contributing factors.

I can see about speeding in Texas and even California but not really so much in Florida (not for really long stretches, I mean). Helmet usage maybe? Heck, even just flat running into critters (or retiree's) should contribute something I suppose. Even knowing the populations are high in these states doesn't seem to me to warrant this high degree of increased fatalities.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, now I've scanned over the link you sent and I can see interesting stuff. Thanks.

Would you mind if I post that link in other forums?

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh, now I've scanned over the link you sent and I can see interesting stuff. Thanks.

Would you mind if I post that link in other forums?
Post away. Look at the first screenshot I posted which shows percent of motorcycle deaths to total drivers, the ranking changes a lot. Plus California, Texas and Florida has the highest number of motorcycle registration.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Tennessee has the May awareness month as well. They’ve been airing radio and tv psa’s very consistently. I’m a member of my local THSO(TN Highway Safety Office)where we meet monthly and go over stats regarding accidents, fatalities, and the causes. Most of the fatalities in East Tennessee are from distracted drivers(texting and driving)drinking and driving, and seniors simply not seeing riders day or night. I’m constantly amazed at how many bikers choose to drink and drive their bikes. Many of the ‘crotch rocket’crowd have the highest number of fatalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Statistics are interesting and point out trends and patterns

but for the individual rider its not really all that useful

its like playing the lottery, every few months one person beats the astronomical odds and wins the power ball, and every week a handful of people win a million dollars
but that has nothing to do with the average person - most people pay more money than they can afford, and never win anything.

it still comes down to the first rule for motorcycles, no matter where you live: Ride as if you are invisible, not invincible.

All it takes to remove the awareness illusion is one car coming down the road with the driver slumped over the wheel, out cold. We always have to be ready to deal with THAT car.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Agreed KCW. Calif might have the most registered bikes but traffic rough and many riders are stupid about the legal lane splitting. Some years back, there was a statement in the DMV rule books suggesting a maximum of 15 mils an hour over the speed of the cars your splitting lanes on. That has been removed but splitting is still legal and some riders are doing 30 to 50 over the cars speed. Simply crazy with so little room to negotiate a driver changing lanes that doesn't see you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Back when I was still active duty in the USAF, I was astounded by how many people couldn't read statistics worth a damn. Some folks couldn't decipher what a given chart of information was telling them. Even when I explained things some still preferred to get the verbal summary from humans than to read and decipher the stats on their own. I'm the other way.

Thankfully, none of those that I, myself, encountered were in military intelligence or I'd have been REALLY concerned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts