Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody! I want to start a thread with video feed from an MSF instructor that @Keith Post has been following. This Texas resident, Kevin, has his own website, MCrider.com: Online motorcycle training, and Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22/featured.

Our fine KeithPost got a shout out in one of the videos here, as he was the one who requested it! MCrider obliged, and posted a video, explaining how to execute a U-turn. (Which he says is hard, even for experienced riders.) So I would like to post this one up, as the first video in this thread.

If you have video feed from any other qualified sources, for skilled riding tips, feel free to post links in this thread.

Personally, I will be taking the Experienced Rider Course again this year, and feel like I can always be improving my skills and poise. I think it's important to keep learning, improving, and to keep muscle memory intact.

Enjoy the video and stay tuned for more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I took the msf course years ago to get my license. If i had the time I'd like to take the advanced courses on my own bike. You'd be surprised what you don't actually know when u have to do it on ur own bike in front of an insturctor and class. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
Excellent point 07midnightcustom.
I've been following these instructional videos for a few weeks now that YamaMassgirl has posted. They're free and you can get them every Tuesday thru your email address if you prefer. Kevin is a certified instructor and teaches all over the southwest. Kevin is not promoting Kevin in these short videos, he's promoting safe riding including what he's learned from his own crash. I believe these can help even the experienced riders and keep your skills sharpened. A huge thanks goes out to YamaMassgirl for posting these, she's a true tech guru!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is also the best time of year to watch these or seek instructional classes as most of us probably haven't been on our bikes since maybe November ish depending on weather where you live. Can never have too much safety or training. Yeah she's always posting cool stuff. I'm lucky i can turn my phone on.

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
I'm right there with you, I agree that with spring approaching this is truly a great time to brush up on ones skills.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This video is a little bizarre, with all the head twisting/turning. But this is TOTALLY true!

Maybe you've heard the term "target fixation". Your eyes lead your bike. Your eyes, not your hands or steering, (though they inevitably follow). -- This is another thing I learned and experienced in the riding courses I've taken.

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
I remember last April when I took my msf course while still in Ms, the instructors hammered home the point of your eyes leading your bike, then demonstrated it several times. It works!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
it feels like the more rake a bike has the harder it is to turn at low speed, my 650 has quite a bit of rake which makes it feel like the front wants to tuck under in slow tight turns. harley compensated for this by putting the fork tubes behind the neck, the rake and trail has a lot to do with the limitations of slow maneuvering

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great reminders, as well as revamping our minds before the season is in full swing! Have been subscribed for some time and find Kevin Morris a man trying to instill safety for all in the motorcycle areana. Just started reread of Total Control as well as others in my library. So important to keep learning no matter how much you think you know already....Ride safe and enjoy! YammyV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

This is Kevin...I'm the talking head on the MCrider videos. I just wanted to chime in and thank YammaMassGirl and Keith Post for promoting the videos here on the forum.

I have had such a great response since I started doing the MCrider.com videos 23 weeks ago, from riders all over the world. I'm glad to give a little back to the biker community.

See ya on the road!
Kevin

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is Kevin...I'm the talking head on the MCrider videos. I just wanted to chime in and thank YammaMassGirl and Keith Post for promoting the videos here on the forum.

I have had such a great response since I started doing the MCrider.com videos 23 weeks ago, from riders all over the world. I'm glad to give a little back to the biker community.

See ya on the road!
Kevin
Hi Kevin, thank you for sharing your expert knowledge. I subscribed to your YouTube channel, and would like to continue sharing your videos.

I will be taking the MSF Experienced Rider Course again this year, and hope to become an instructor one day!

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just sharing some more videos as I am watching them. In this episode Kevin talks about how you may be able to avoid accidents by using good road strategy. He shares video footage from one of his own highway rides where a potential accident was avoided.

We always need to be "seeing" ahead, mentally. Good advice here.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one time, I was coming home from work at night, on backroads. I was doing the speed limit, or less, and saw what I thought was either a black oil spot or a shadow in the middle of my lane. Last minute I realized it was a beaver walking up the road! So I did a quick swerve and narrowly avoided the cute little thing. My V Star was still fairly new to me, and not nearly as 'flickable' as my FZ6. But I was paying attention, (though very dark and rounding a corner), and I had practiced swerving in the MSF Expericed Rider Course with my new bike.

Of course, assuming you just watched the previous episode I posted, swerving should be *less* neccessary. But it is an essential skill to have. :)

How & when to swerve on a motorcycle - Episode - 18 MCrider

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's been awhile since I watched or posted another one of these videos. It's about good habits and left, so to speak.

I myself am very excited to be taking the experienced rider course again coming up this weekend.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for sharing these youtubes with everyone! A real essential means for all, new, experienced or inexperienced rider. Have a great weekend learning and adding to your riding experience and knowledge, already. Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks YammyV! - Will post more. Of course this links to more videos...

It is true that we all spend a lot of money and time on researching/buying gear, when a valuable expense can be to take a course. -- Even if you train solo, we can learn a lot from each other. That's why I like taking rider courses.

Hoping you all ride safe and keep on learning!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
This video is a little bizarre, with all the head twisting/turning. But this is TOTALLY true!

Maybe you've heard the term "target fixation". Your eyes lead your bike. Your eyes, not your hands or steering, (though they inevitably follow). -- This is another thing I learned and experienced in the riding courses I've taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19mzjHGPPco
This was one of my take aways from the advanced course I took a few years ago. I think of that every time I change lanes. If you want to avoid running over the reflectors, look between them. Amazing how it works! :surprise:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts