Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from a one-month vacation, during which my motorcycle was sitting idle in an outdoor parking spot (under a bike cover). The temperatures have been going as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

I tried starting the bike with the choke fully out, but it won't start. I've tried it a number of times now and am a little worried that I might completely drain the battery.

I REALLY want to ride tomorrow before the work week begins, a month is a long time to be away from the road :)

Please help. How can I get my bike started?

FYI, I have very little experience in motorcycle maintenance. Trying to remedy the situation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got home from a one-month vacation, during which my motorcycle was sitting idle in an outdoor parking spot (under a bike cover). The temperatures have been going as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

I tried starting the bike with the choke fully out, but it won't start. I've tried it a number of times now and am a little worried that I might completely drain the battery.

I REALLY want to ride tomorrow before the work week begins, a month is a long time to be away from the road :)

Please help. How can I get my bike started?

FYI, I have very little experience in motorcycle maintenance. Trying to remedy the situation.
A couple thoughts for ya,
Wait for the day to warm up sum since it's outside.
Cold air is dense so the mixture is already rich so try several attempts with little or no choke.
Also don't over do it, give time for the starter motor to cool a little between attempts.
Pull a spark plug out and check it's condition and color, if it's black or wet then the fuel mixture is too rich.

I'm sure others will chime in. I had a 2001 Classic, great bike!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It might help if we know what kind of bike you had?

Are you getting fuel? Are you getting spark? We need to know those 3 things before before we can tell you much of anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It might help if we know what kind of bike you had?

Are you getting fuel? Are you getting spark? We need to know those 3 things before before we can tell you much of anything.
I think he mentioned when he introduced himself that he's riding a 2009 V Star 650.

Agree more info we get the better chance we can help out :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did you do any preparation for storage such as fuel treatment, draining the bowls/running carbs dry OR did you just park it? Is the battery fully charged? Ethanol fuel in the tank?

Agree more info is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2009 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650.

Could you guys please tell me how to confirm if I am getting fuel and spark?

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
How old was the gas in the tank prior to the month long park under cover ?

Did the bike run fine before this ?

Check for spark by pulling a plug with the boot attached and hold the firing tip near the engine block. Crank the motor over with the starter
a few times. No more. A spark should be seen across the tip.
Make sure you hold the plug with a glove on. Keep it very close to bare metal. Like a bolt head . Check both one at a time is fine.
If it's firing on both cylinders most likely the issue is fuel related.

If it's not firing on both Cylinders, Replace the plugs and try again.
Check for stupid things like the kill switch on the throttle grip. Make sure it's off NOT ON.
Make sure kickstand is down and Transmission in Neutral .

In any case try to get someone to help you drain or pump out the gas in the tank. And then put fresh gas in.

This would be a good start to getting it running again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One month is not enough to make fuel go stale. Chances are your fuel pet-cock is turned off. Or something similar. One month is nothing I've let my bikes sit way longer than that for many years. They fire right up every time. Even the low-budget Japanese Yamaha....so far.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
It is possible he just flooded it trying to get it started.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The kick stand is tied into the ignition so even if the bike is in neutral engage the clutch as you try and start it. That kickstand switch gave me fits on my 2001 650.

·
Registered
456 Posts
First of all how is the bike reacting?
Is it turning over ?
Does the starter sound normal?
Make sure battery is fully charged, if voltage is low it may not start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
While the plug is out, sniff for gas. If you can smell gas, pull the fuel line at the petcock and drain an oz. or two in a clear glass. If discolored at all or any water or rust, drain and flush the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
OP has not commented on what he has done or found. It may be over his head in terms of what to do or how to do it.

I think we are shooting in the dark here until he post some additional
data on whats going on and what he has/ has not found.

jake:confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
OP has not commented on what he has done or found. It may be over his head in terms of what to do or how to do it.

I think we are shooting in the dark here until he post some additional
data on whats going on and what he has/ has not found.

jake:confused:
Agree! Does anybody live down the street from him?:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
That would be a great thing. I wish people helped me like this when I was this green :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 09 650 does NOT like to start in the cold. I just recently took a two week break and it didn't want to start on my first cold day back and it was in my garage. Popped, sputtered and complained but didn't fire right away.

My two cents. I pull the choke/enricher all the way out and push it back in one click (that is where mine likes to start when it's cold. With the bike in Neutral, I then turn on the key. Wait until the fuel pump stops pumping (you can hear it clicking) then push the starter button. No throttle. Just push the starter button. On cold days it begins cranking slow, chug, chug, chug and then begins to speed up some and finally sounds like it wants to fire. I will then give it just a bit of throttle and it fires and runs.

I ride 365 days unless there is ice so I am out in temps that are in the teens sometimes. Most cold starts are around 30-40 degrees though.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Very true, But without OP's response to what we all have told him we will never know if he fixed it and is riding happily around the countryside or took it to the shop. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Mom most likely made him take it to the shop for a complete tune up.
And they will just turn the petcock to ON and then charge him $350 for parts and labor. A big sucking sound can be heard at the cash register.

jake :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
As others have said, may be bad gas. Otherwise, try putting a Battery Tender on it and maybe run 4oz or so of Sea Foam in the gas tank...

·
Registered
54 Posts
RestoRider00, You know it's outrageous what some will charge if they think they can get away with it. Myself, I always thought it was part of the trip to understand how things worked and I enjoyed the satisfaction of doing repairs and putting the knowledge to work. However, not all are built that way, fortunately, so things don't get boring. I'm also interested in the result of this thread and hope the originator will will post when the problem gets resolved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts