Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd just like to say, I'm ok with this.
I'm not. Sure, the cager screwed up pretty bad by hitting the bikers, but the beating they gave him gives us all a bad name.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been in a few accidents, but never been at fault. Sure hte insurance eventually pays out, but you have to go through countless hours of hassle to get everything fixed, correctly, on top of the headache of dealing iwth issues, time to wait where you can't ride, and so on. After all is said and done, sure you get your bike, but there's zero compensation for the hassle of the process, which is completely due to the other drivers negligence. And the driver who was an idiot is out... nothing, because his insurnace takes care of everything. So where's the lesson for him to not drive like a moron? I'd feel the same if it happened to a guy's car, too. If it happened to me, due to my gross neglegence, I might feel bad for a few bumps, but I certainly would feel for the owner of the other vehicle(s), because they have to deal with the hassle of getting hteir bikes fixed. I've never been opposed to a well deserved whooping, even if it were my own.

When I was young, I was messing around on the tractor, and lost control and hit a tree. Stripped the bolt off the driveshaft. My old man beat my ass, but it was a deserved beating, I did something retarded. I did not hold it against him. I don't see how this is different.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't see how this is different.
It's different because when you messed up your dad's tractor, your dad beat your ass. If he would have had all his friends come over and give you a beat down, it would be closer to the same situation as this article - along with child abuse.

If one car gets in an accident with one bike and the rider of the bike gets into a fistfight with the cager, it will probably lead to legal problems for the biker, but on an ethical level I can see the reasoning. But when the cager hits, in this case two bikes, and the whole gang jumps him, that's when I have a problem with it.

Yes, people need to be more responsible on the road. We as riders do, and for sure cagers do. But the gang beating this guy got shifts the incident from "hey, that guy in the car should have been paying attention and driving more safely" to "motorcycle riders are a bunch of filthy thugs." Obviously we're not all thugs, but suddenly people sympathize with the guy who started this.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riders are naturally more responsible(generally, i certainly don't speak for all of them) because there's more at stake, a small screw-up could easily mean your life. And, as per the article, 3 people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries, 2 motorcyclists and the prius driver. To me that says that the beating was far from severe. I would not call these guys thugs. If they'd have beaten the guy within inches of his life, maybe, but not for minor injuries.

·
Registered
621 Posts
... as per the article, 3 people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries, 2 motorcyclists and the prius driver. To me that says that the beating was far from severe. I would not call these guys thugs. If they'd have beaten the guy within inches of his life, maybe, but not for minor injuries.
That's a fair point.

But come to think of it, if this happened on the highway, how did anyone come away from it with only minor injuries?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was in California, they have places where you can pull off the highway directly to a bar or market of sorts, they also have traffic lights, the only real thing defining it as a highway is no side road access, but not necessarily 80mph all the time. I am guessing it's a situation like that, given the circumstances of the accident.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Riders are naturally more responsible(generally, i certainly don't speak for all of them) because there's more at stake, a small screw-up could easily mean your life.
Would that be the riders with or without helmets? :rolleyes:

I don't think riders are more responsible, it is just that if you mess up on a motorcycle, you are unlikely to do serious damage to a cage driver. If a cage driver messes up, they are likely to do serious damage to a rider.

"And the driver who was an idiot is out... nothing, because his insurnace takes care of everything. So where's the lesson for him to not drive like a moron?"

Well, if you cause an accident I would expect your insurance to go up significantly. (I don't know, have never been the cause of an accident, just assuming.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts