Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some of the ways to mount if your pilon seat is is stacked up. kinda like getting on with a passenger on already, as i'm getting older it has become more difficult for me to get on a loaded bike

·
Registered
124 Posts
There's this

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,368 Posts
I can relate to the difficulty getting on a loaded bike. I've had bad knees for years. Once I get on no issues. I always have my wife get on last and get off first. I get on by lifting my leg way up and side step on. I probably look like a dog marking his territory, but I don't care. It works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Step on the left peg while it is on it's stand. Swing through with your right leg. Easy. I get on my sons tall Adventure bike like that all the time. The bike is secure on its stand. Not moving like the video, but put your leg over just like the video.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step on the left peg while it is on it's stand. Swing through with your right leg. Easy. I get on my sons tall Adventure bike like that all the time. The bike is secure on its stand. Not moving like the video, but put your leg over just like the video.
you gave me an idea, i'm going to try that but i'm going come from the higher right side running board, i'll have to wait until spring though

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
if you step on the running board on the right side there is nothing to stop the bike from falling over.

If you cant swing your leg over because you got gear or a trunk on the back, seems like you should be able to push your knee over the tank and let your foot follow across the seat.

My bike is kinda stuffed in the garage right now, so I cant try that. With the trunk on my bike I just swing my boot over the trunk.

maybe it would help if you parked your bike by a step on the left side, or had a Rubbermaid foot stool there,

·
Registered
909 Posts
You know how you open the flaps and lift your leg to step through the threshold of a bouncy palace? That's the technique I'll use if not feeling as limber as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
you gave me an idea, i'm going to try that but i'm going come from the higher right side running board, i'll have to wait until spring though
if you step on the running board on the right side there is nothing to stop the bike from falling over.

If you cant swing your leg over because you got gear or a trunk on the back, seems like you should be able to push your knee over the tank and let your foot follow across the seat.

My bike is kinda stuffed in the garage right now, so I cant try that. With the trunk on my bike I just swing my boot over the trunk.

maybe it would help if you parked your bike by a step on the left side, or had a Rubbermaid foot stool there,
He is correct Pauli. I have seen expert rider mount from the right side by stepping on the peg. I have done it with mixed success. The left side is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
You know how you open the flaps and lift your leg to step through the threshold of a bouncy palace? That's the technique I'll use if not feeling as limber as usual.
somehow I don't think you are talking about motorcycles at all, but I cant decode what you are saying...

regarding standing on the right side of the bike to get on. I know people kick start big bikes (like old Harleys) without getting on the bike, they stand next to it and jump on the kick starter.

I don't think you put your full weight on the kickstarter, you could only do that if the engine is seized and does not turn over. Plus the kick starter foot lever does not stick out as far and the footpeg. I would be very worried about stepping on the peg on the right side, esp if the bike is parked where it is already leaning a bit to the right, like on the shoulder of the road. I parked my bike next to a bridge a few years ago on the side of the original Grand Prix road race course, to take a photo of my bike. When I was walking back to my MC I realized it was just barely leaning on the kickstand.

So maybe if you leaned in over the gas tank, and got your CG over the middle of the bike, then you might be able to step up on the right side foot peg or running board... maybe.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

the 650 leans very hard to the left because of the short kickstand i don't think my weight on the right board could even lift it off the stand let alone flip it to that side, i sometimes put a couple 40 lb boxes of cat litter on the pilon and have a tough time mounting it,s not bad getting off but for some reason i can't seem to reverse the getting off method to getting on, weird right? as far as a stool i can't take one with me, i once tried to park close to a high curb and almost twisted my ankle so i gave up on getting near something to step up on

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe with some stretching exercises for a week i might be able to step that high, stepping over something thats two feet high ain't easy, the shape i'm in right now my boot heel hits about the middle of the seat edge when i try to step over, just can't make those last two inches

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I had my 650 out of the garage today and experimented with this.

With the handlebars in the normal parked position, I can stand on the left side of the bike and push/slide my knee over the gastank and forward, and my foot slides over the seat and drops down, not hitting my backrest/trunk at all. I'm 6' zero so that works for me.

I also tried just stepping thru from both sides, and its much easier to step thru from the right than from the left. I think its because the seat is higher closer to you when you are on the right side - grab the right grip and lean back away and its easy to step thru.

Does not seem to be so easy or natural from the left side of the bike. I don't know why.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had my 650 out of the garage today and experimented with this.

With the handlebars in the normal parked position, I can stand on the left side of the bike and push/slide my knee over the gastank and forward, and my foot slides over the seat and drops down, not hitting my backrest/trunk at all. I'm 6' zero so that works for me.

I also tried just stepping thru from both sides, and its much easier to step thru from the right than from the left. I think its because the seat is higher closer to you when you are on the right side - grab the right grip and lean back away and its easy to step thru.

Does not seem to be so easy or natural from the left side of the bike. I don't know why.
i'l try stepping through from the right soon as the tires are on and its off the blocks, it's not a trunk or backrest i'm trying to avoid it's a tall box on the passenger seat, it's like getting on without kicking a passenger already mounted, keeping your foot close to your butt when turning is part of the problem when coming from ground level on the left, i'm getting a couple of ideas to try from this thread, i'm sure one of them will work for me when the time comes. i'll tell you one thing i'm not running along side and mounting like roy rogers. i bet the guy in that video lost it a few times before getting it right but you'll hear that from him

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
i'l try stepping through from the right soon as the tires are on and its off the blocks, it's not a trunk or backrest i'm trying to avoid it's a tall box on the passenger seat, it's like getting on without kicking a passenger already mounted, keeping your foot close to your butt when turning is part of the problem when coming from ground level on the left, i'm getting a couple of ideas to try from this thread, i'm sure one of them will work for me when the time comes. i'll tell you one thing i'm not running along side and mounting like roy rogers. i bet the guy in that video lost it a few times before getting it right but you'll hear that from him
I agree 100% with that. I am NOT going to do a rolling mount or dismount. Although for some who REAAAALLLY want to ride...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bought a R1200RT that is considerably taller than the V-STAR. Getting on the right (high) side is exactly what I do (I'm old and not as slim as I used to be). As I'm getting on, I squeeze the handbrake. I can also feel the weight coming off the side stand, but not enough to tip the bike.

I'd be worried about getting on from the other side, and putting any weight on the floorboards or pegs as that weight, plus the weight of the bike, is all going on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Bought a R1200RT that is considerably taller than the V-STAR. Getting on the right (high) side is exactly what I do (I'm old and not as slim as I used to be). As I'm getting on, I squeeze the handbrake. I can also feel the weight coming off the side stand, but not enough to tip the bike.

I'd be worried about getting on from the other side, and putting any weight on the floorboards or pegs as that weight, plus the weight of the bike, is all going on the side stand.
That is a non issue. The side stand is designed to handle it, as long as you have it on firm ground or a side stand puck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yea I was wondering about if the stand was meant to support your weight to use the left foot peg to mount. I am picking up a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT tommorow and coming from a touring bike . My seat height will go from 28 to 33 inches on the new bike. It has hard bags but I`m not putting anything up top . I guess I will have to experiment a little to see which way I`m liking best.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Yea I was wondering about if the stand was meant to support your weight to use the left foot peg to mount. I am picking up a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT tommorow and coming from a touring bike . My seat height will go from 28 to 33 inches on the new bike. It has hard bags but I`m not putting anything up top . I guess I will have to experiment a little to see which way I`m liking best.
That is one bike I can tell you from personal experience that the kick stand will hold. That is the bike my son has. I have had the bags loaded ~ 10 to 15 per bag and getting on from the left via the foot peg is how I do it. I am 250#. I do not know your stats, but to keep from hitting the bags with your foot I highly recommend this. I would also get a "bigfoot" for the kickstand on that one as its footprint is pretty small. BTW even with my big ass on it that bike will pull a wheelie just by rolling on the throttle, not using the clutch to build revs. Have fun and be careful with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks NGM . I`m at 200lb give or take. I did a mount in the showroom using the kick stand. I was concerned if over time doing that might cause a break. Yea , the wheelies I have seen on youtube videos . I don`t want to do those.I have never owned a bike capable of doing that and that scares me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
somehow I don't think you are talking about motorcycles at all, but I cant decode what you are saying...
You dirty old man.

I'll try to clarify. My point is to swing the foot through the lowest section of the bike which is usually the pilot's portion of the saddle. I'll approach from the left of the bike since all bikes I ever owned leaned to the left when on the kick, side, jiffy stand. That way I don't have to kick my right leg out as far to straddle the bike as if I approached from the right. So far the most challenging to mount when loaded was my DRZ which had a seat height at about belt buckle level (I have a 34" inseam) and once mounted (easy there, KCW) allowed me to barely flat foot with both feet. Getting on board involved looking like I was about to Yoko Geri and hop closer towards the bike on my left leg until I could hop on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts