Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be moving on from the forum. I traded in my '09 VStar 950T on an Indian Scout.

The Scout is a smaller bike with a bit bigger engine, and the engine is better in virtually every way. It's a 10 yr newer engine with 4 valves / cyl. It makes more power at all RPMs and it revs eagerly. The smaller bike fits me very nicely (I'm 5'6).
I pushed the 950 to it's top speed a cpl (cough*cough) times and at times wanted more. I passed a truck on the Scout and went from 55 to 90 w/o trying. I don't think I'll go full speed on the Scout - I've read they'll do 125, and even faster with a 'tuner' (like a power commander).

The Scout has ABS, 6 speed trans (both things I feel the VStar should be upgraded with), gear indicator, RPM (digital, one of the options w/ odom, trip odom & engine temp) and water cooling. Water cooling allows for closer tolerances and some say makes for a much longer running engine.
I do 'need' to add heel-toe shifter, floor boards and saddlebags; there are multiple sources for them.
I'm thinking of putting on a single exhaust so I can put on bigger saddlebags.

I haven't been real active on this forum, which is a testament to the reliability of the VStar.

I never liked the speedo 'in' the gas tank. I've worn a modular helmet for years, had to get a open face helmet for the VStar. There were quite a few times that I couldn't read the Odom or clock.
The speedo on the Scout is spot-on (per GPS), so no need for doing math when riding w/o GPS.

I'll be around for a bit more - I'm selling the Mustang dual wide touring seat off the 950 - it's in the For Sale section.
HipG

·
Registered
955 Posts
Best of luck with the Scout!

Me personally, you can hang around & provide updates on the Scout's performance & reliability.
But, that's an admins choice.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Definitely hang around as your experience with the Vstar can be shared with new members. To me moving to a different bike is not an upgrade as much as update. It's hard to say changing styles is a upgrade. You are moving forward 10 years in technology. Ride often and safe.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
HipGnosis,
You’re more than welcome to stick around and I believe it would be beneficial for you and us.
I agree with some of the things you mentioned on the Vstar 950.
I respect your choice and hope you’ll consider remaining an active member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I saw one yesterday, got a few minutes to look it over.

Have to give them credit for making a water cooled engine and not putting fake air-cooled fins on it (like my Royal Star V4).

You are use to riding a 950, I think the Scout scrapes in the corners about the same, so that is an even swap.

All the things you listed as being a fresh design are not really anything new. Yamaha did a pretty good job of giving riders the option to choose what they want, from fairly simple engines with carbs and electronic ignition, or fuel injection, over head cams, or push rods, drive shaft or belt drive - they covered all the bases pretty well.

BMW has demonstrated that putting the bells and whistles on a motorcycle is not free, their bikes are more expensive, and they are less reliable (bottom of the list on Consumer Reports) simply because the more things you put on a bike, the more things there are to break, and render the MC un-usable until it goes back to the dealer for repairs.

Let us know how it goes (pun intended). For all the good qualities of Vstar bikes, there is one fatal flaw: Yamaha stopped making them a couple years ago, and we are all orphans now. There will be good used Vstar bikes available for years, but sooner or later we will all be thinking about what to get next if we decide we want a brand-new motorcycle.

PS: This thread is useless without photos :^)

·
Registered
52 Posts
For all the good qualities of Vstar bikes, there is one fatal flaw: Yamaha stopped making them a couple years ago, and we are all orphans now. There will be good used Vstar bikes available for years, but sooner or later we will all be thinking about what to get next if we decide we want a brand-new motorcycle.
In 1994 Yamaha announced the creation of Star Motorcycles, a new standalone brand name for its cruiser series of motorcycles in the American market. Although a separate brand, Star motorcycles will continue to be sold at Yamaha dealerships. In other markets the same bikes will still be sold as Yamahas.

There are still New V-Stars around. They just made it an offshoot division, kind of like Ram trucks is an offshoot of Dodge.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
KentB,

I think you are mixing up the beginning of the Vstar line of motorcycles with the end of the Vstar production.

Yes Yamaha branched off the Vstar bike design from Japan to the USA in 1994 - their previous attempts at making a direct competitor to harley Vtwin cruiser bikes up to that point was making Japanese interpretation of what a harley 'should' look like.

The Vstar engineers in the USA had none of that, they outright copied the look and feel of early 1960's Harleys while using Japanese engine design expertise and production cost reduction. Side by side the Vstar 650, 1100, Road Star... look very much like Harley bikes.

About 2 or 3 years ago now Yamaha pulled the plug on Vstar bikes. There will be no more Vstar 650, 1100, 950, 1300, Road Star, Royal Star V4, Road liners, Sratoliner... they are all discontinued.

The Bolt is still being made, its a Vtwin but its more like a HD sportster than a cruiser bike.

The New Venture is being sold as a touring bike, its a Vtwin, but it never carried the Vstar label.

Lots more info here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/114370-we-orphans-now.html

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Now that i am getting older i had a Honda Vtx 1800 for 10 years. Up dated or down graded to 1100 Vstar.
I am a cruiser not a speeder. Having said that the biggest difference for me between 50hp star and 103hp
Vtx is pushing it out of the garage. The Vtx is over 200# more. That was a great bike also.
Honda did the same thing discontinuing the Vtx for the Fury. All i can guess is they figure the cruiser market is going away? I don't get it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
not that Yamaha doesnt want our cruiser business

in 2017 you could find 3 or 4 year old Vstar bikes at dealers that had never been sold, and they were going for $3 go $4k off the normal sell price

several years back HD was flooding the market with low prices on cruiser bikes - pretty much anyone who wanted one and could cough up $120 a month for a 7 year loan got one, and then some

Sports bikes are selling, touring and sport touring bikes are selling, cross over on/off road "adventure touring" bikes are selling

Its hard to keep the factory running when someone buys a cruiser bike, rides it 4,000 miles a year, loves it dearly..
but does not come back and buy another new one for 20 years.

the cruiser market is saturated

the positive side for us: you can buy just about any used Vstar bike with less than 10k miles on it, in great condition, for $3k to $4k, if you look around

many people bought them thinking they would take the great american MC road trip, and never ride them.

I got my 2000 Royal Star last fall for $2,400. The owner had it for 8 years and only put 2000 miles on it. For the last 2 years he only rode it once a year, to get it inspected.

I could not spend $20,000 on a touring bike right now, and I can ride Ursa anywhere I want when I have the time. The $17,600 I did not spend on it will pay for a lot of gas, oil, and hotel rooms...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that i am getting older i had a Honda Vtx 1800 for 10 years. Up dated or down graded to 1100 Vstar.
I am a cruiser not a speeder. Having said that the biggest difference for me between 50hp star and 103hp
Vtx is pushing it out of the garage. The Vtx is over 200# more. That was a great bike also.
I can sure feel the difference in weight from the VStar 950 and Scout. I pushed the Scout back out of a parking space the other night. It was so easy that I pushed it back into the spot that was behind me (I was waiting on someone).

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
^ I quickly learned not to park 670 lb Ursa in any parking space pointed even just a little bit downhill, if its not a pull thru.

I use to think having a reverse gear on a motorcycle was a joke, till I had to duck walk that bike backwards uphill...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wanted an indian myself. only one in particular. first ride and second ride made my hands numb. just like my HD. bought a stratoliner, rode it 1400 miles home. 3 days. no problem with numbness. had a kal yrs ago, it to was great.

·
Super Moderator
13,110 Posts
i test rode an Indian touring bike a few years ago, may have been the Chiefton. very good looking bike. smooth riding and handling, and definitely NOT for commuter use. it's big and heavy and using the clutch was a major workout for just a 10 minute ride through some city streets.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did enjoy the demo rides I did on the scout60 and the scout bobber.
I didn't notice the vibration in the handlebars at all. I had no EFI fuel issues on delivery or cut like we do.

It wouldn't be the bike for me, atleast not at the moment, but was testing different bikes for my daughter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts