Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice here. Planning for a move at the beginning of August from Southern Louisiana to the middle of Nebraska (1100 miles, 2 days). Wife and I are planning to rent a moving truck which I will drive and she will be driving our small SUV with the little one and furball in it. The moving truck we will be using does not have a trailer hitch and neither does our car so renting a trailer is out since it would involve installing a hitch on the car which we are not interested in doing.

Anybody have any experience moving with a bike INSIDE a moving truck? Should I try to build a crate/frame myself (have tools), pick up a crate from the local dealer, or is there another method anyone would suggest to load a bike into a moving truck along with the rest of our household? The truck will most likely have a power lift on it so loading the bike into the truck won't be an uphill battle/balancing act.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clarification: 22-26ft moving truck.

Most trucks I have driven this size have smooth floors all the way across, but may have tie down rails near the sides. Is it possible to tie it down to one side of the truck only? Not sure how secure that would be.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
I agree with tpeach66, I’ve seen it done without any hiccups, just my .02 cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
If the truck has attachment points along the walls, you could make a frame that will sit on the floor to keep the wheels from sliding out away from the wall, like boxing in the tires so they cant slide sideways in either direction

then attach that floor-frame to the same side wall as you attach the bike. It would be sort like putting the bike on a pallet, but the tires would still be on the floor of the truck.

The thing you have to keep in mind, if the truck hits a good bump in the road, the suspension on the truck and MC can toss it up so the wheels loose contact with the floor - you have to secure it so it comes back down on the same footprint.

The other thing to double check is to make sure the lift gate is rated for the weight of the MC, plus anyone holding on to it as its raised - and that you can steer the bike into the back of the truck (make the turn) without risking the bike rolling off the back of the lift gate. No matter what: do not sit on the MC while doing this - people have been killed trying to put MCs in the back of pickup trucks - if it starts to go, you have to let it go. It would suck if you dropped the bike off the back of the truck, it will be devastating if you die trying to save it. Unfortunately it happens.

Also suggest draining the gas out (may be required) and maybe the oil too, just in case a seal decides to let go and you end up with 3 quarts of oil on the floor of the truck, soaked into all your worldly goods.

If you end up with a truck with a ramp, do not try to walk the bike up and down, no matter how many people you have helping - get a come-along to pull it up and lower it back down the ramp.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Another alternative is if you buy my airline tickets, I'll drive it up for you at no charge! :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
A relatively cheap option would be to build frame out of 2x4s (maybe includes 2x6?) where you could put the front tire in a "vice" & then I bolts in the corners of the frame to tie/ratchet strap the bike to. And pack your crap around it so it doesn't move.

If I get a chance later, I'll try to draw something up.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts